Msimanga remains Tshwane mayor, EFF stage a walkout in motion of no confidence
The African National Congress says it will be approaching the courts after Thursday's failed motion of no confidence against Tshwane Mayor Solly Msimanaga.
The ANC abandoned its motion after the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF)'s one was disallowed, with the council speaker saying the red berets failed to motivate for urgency in writing as required by the rules. The party’s leaders walked out.
Eyewitness News political reporter Clement Manayathela was there.
The ANC's reasoning is that they will not sit here and watch the council speaker try to sabotage the motion of no confidence. They say that they will be joining the EFF in court to challenge how the speaker has conducted today's sitting.Clement Manyathela, EWN political reporter
This is just politics. They were dependent on the support of the EFF, so this is their way of trying to avoid embarrassment.Clement Manyathela, EWN political reporter
The big question that everyone is asking is was there a deal or not between the DA and the EFF. Earlier Solly Msimanga spoke to us and he was very confident, telling us that I am very sure that I am going to be mayor.Clement Manyathela, EWN political reporter
Click on the link below to hear the full report...
Speaking to Siki Mgabadeli on the Afternoon Drive, Msimanga has denied a deal was made with the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).
Yesterday one of my legal minds showed me one of the technical problems with the motion that the EFF was tabling, that is what we advanced today and the speaker was then left to make a ruling.Solly Msimanga, Tshwane mayor
He says he has always had a cordial relationship with the EFF and has noted their concerns.
I have always been consultative in my leadership style of doing things. I have taken into consideration that there might have been some unhappiness in the last few weeks. I am not going to shy away to say I will reach out to the EFF.Solly Msimanga, Tshwane mayor
Click on the link below to listen to the full conversation....
In his "From The Desk of the President" column, Cyril Ramaphosa unpacks a number of commitments made under Generation Equality.Read More
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More