Streaming issues? Report here
070a3516-smalljpg 070a3516-smalljpg
Soulful Sundays with Nonn Botha
16:00 - 19:00
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: Inside EWN
See full line-up
Soulful Sundays with Nonn Botha
16:00 - 19:00
Home
arrow_forward
Local

Nasal spray developed to slow down Alzheimers

6 September 2018 9:56 AM
Tags:
Alzheimers disease
cure
nasal spray

Researcher have discovered a breakthrough nasal spray to slow down the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

There is hope in the way that we can fight Alzheimer's that could make less of a threat for future generations.

A breakthrough by a team of researchers at the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) could see patients with Alzheimer’s using a nasal spray to slow down the progression of the disease, the main cause of dementia.

Speaking to Africa Melane, lead researcher at Wits, Professor Stefan Weiss says the nasal spray is given to patients and the drug will go from the nose right into the brain.

It will avoid the whole body, it will avoid the stomach, the normal digestive system. You apply it straight to the nose and it goes straight into the brain.

Professor Stefan Weiss, Lead Researcher at Wits

Listen below to the full interview:


6 September 2018 9:56 AM
Tags:
Alzheimers disease
cure
nasal spray

More from Local

paygas-picturejpg

You can now buy a R10 voucher and top up your cylinder at pay-as-you gas station

9 August 2020 1:22 PM

PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

cyril-2jpg

WATCH: President Cyril Ramaphosa delivers Women's Day address

9 August 2020 12:03 PM

Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

200808ollygif

ANC in Free State feels betrayed by members who voted against Olly Mlamleli

9 August 2020 8:05 AM

Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

rama1jpg

Ramaphosa to deliver Women’s Day address

9 August 2020 7:33 AM

Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Covid-19 testing statistics modelling 123rf

UPDATE: 404,568 (73%) COVID-19 recoveries for SA as death toll breaches 10,000

8 August 2020 9:44 PM

There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

190311buthelezi

Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi tests positive for COVID-19

8 August 2020 4:04 PM

According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

WhatsApp-message-log-app-smartphone-social-media-texting-technology-123rf

Pyramid schemes: It's greed, you think you stand a better chance than the others

8 August 2020 2:44 PM

National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Nedbank Cup: Mamelodi Sundowns Beat EC Bees FC 2-1

SA soccer season returns with Nedbank Cup semi-finals today

8 August 2020 12:02 PM

Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Boy Mamabolo

Boy Mamabolo apologises for threats against journalist

8 August 2020 11:55 AM

Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

premier-alan-winde-cticc-covid-19-hospitaljpg

Premier Winde calls for alcohol sales ban to be lifted in WC

7 August 2020 5:32 PM

Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward