The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) says 13 learner abduction incidents have been reported to officials since the 8th of August to date.
WCED ministerial spokesperson Jessica Shelver says one of the abducted leaners, Grade 3 pupil Privilege Mabvongwe, was found dead last week Thursday.
Three others were sexually assaulted.
There have also been several attempted abductions this week, including at Wingfield Primary School, Modderdam Secondary School and Bridgeville Primary School.
Shelver says the WCED is investigating additional unconfirmed reports.
The department plans to meet with police officials to determine whether there is a link in the recent spate of learner abductions.
Shelver explains that learner safety outside school premises is the mandate of Saps, who she says is underresourced.
We have 13 incidents that have been reported.— Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
Three of those learners were abducted, sexually assaulted and returned.— Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
One of the learners (Privilege Mabvongwe) was abducted and found dead last week.— Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
It's imperative for us to know if there is a link in any way. Education MEC Debbie Schafer did request an urgent meeting.— Jessica Shelver, WCED ministerial spokesperson
Listen to the discussion on The Pippa Hudson Show:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : 13 child snatching incidents reported since August - WCED