Standard Bank's Ian Sinton implicates two cabinet ministers in state capture
Standard Bank’s head of compliance Ian Sinton is the first witness from the banking sector to testify at the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into State Capture.
The commission is focusing on the closure of Gupta accounts by some of the country's biggest banks.
Sinton tells the commission that some of the bank's executives were summoned to Luthuli House to explain the decision to terminate Gupta-linked bank accounts.
He says that they were asked if they were part of the white monopoly capital oppressing black people. He adds that they were also asked if they were colluding with other banks on this because Absa at the time was also mentioning its intentions to terminate the Gupta's accounts.
This is according to a report by EWN reporter Gia Nicolaides.
They were also called to the interministerial committee meeting where the then minister Msebenzi Zwane indicated to them that government had the authority to change the laws that will prohibit them from closing the accounts.Gia Nicolaides, EWN reporter
He says the purpose of these meetings was really an attempt by Msebenzi Zwane and Mildred Oliphant to change their minds that they cannot close the Guptas accounts.Gia Nicolaides, EWN reporter
Nicolaides says Sinton directly implicated two cabinet ministers who were persuading it not to close the Guptas accounts.
He says the bank was bullied into changing their minds about closing the Guptas accounts.
To hear the rest of the report by Gia Nicolaides, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Standard Bank's Ian Sinton implicates two cabinet ministers in state capture
EWN reporter Nthakoana Ngatane gives an update on what is happening at the state capture commission.Read More
Zimbabwe government spokesman Nick Mangwana denies that there are human rights violations happening in that country.Read More
In his "From The Desk of the President" column, Cyril Ramaphosa unpacks a number of commitments made under Generation Equality.Read More
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More