Nehawu plans Sassa offices shutdown leaving millions of beneficiaries stranded

Millions of social grants beneficiaries could be left stranded as the National Education‚ Health and Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu) plans to indefinitely shut down Sassa offices from Wednesday.

The union says the strike comes as a result of Sassa's refusal to resolve challenges brought about by the migration of the social grant payment system from Cash Paymaster Services to the South African Post Office.

The fight between Sassa and ourselves does not only involve our members but also the beneficiaries Sassa is serving.

Khaya Xaba, National Spokesperson for Nehawu

READ: Sassa and CPS go head to head on who is to blame for grant payments delay

There is a system that has been introduced to deal with social security called a biometric enrollment. Sassa implemented the system unilaterally without consulting us.

Khaya Xaba, National Spokesperson for Nehawu

ALSO READ: 'The latest SASSA payment debacle is a middle finger to the poor'

Now beneficiaries are angry, and as we speak, at some of our local offices, our members are held hostage because beneficiaries cannot be helped because of the biometric system

Khaya Xaba, National Spokesperson for Nehawu

Listen to what the way forward is...


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
FUL: Bathabile Dlamini acted with gross recklessness at best

FUL: Bathabile Dlamini acted with gross recklessness at best

Last month, the ConCourt ordered Dlamini to personally pay the Black Sash and FUL 20% of the costs from last year’s Sassa saga.

All systems go as the SA Post Office takes over grants payments

All systems go as the SA Post Office takes over grants payments

COO at the SA Post Office Lindiwe Kwele says even though it is all systems go, not all the beneficiaries have the new Sapo card.

'Imagine where we would be if Bathabile Dlamini had said, I don't know that'

'Imagine where we would be if Bathabile Dlamini had said, I don't know that'

Breakfast Host Bongani Bingwa gives his comments on the ConCourt ruling on Bathabile Dlamini.

FUL to keep a watchful eye on Dlamini saga to ensure a satisfactory conclusion

FUL to keep a watchful eye on Dlamini saga to ensure a satisfactory conclusion

Judge Johann Kriegler says he hopes President Cyril Ramaphosa will appoint NPA head soon to make decisions on this matter.

Black Sash applauds ConCourt ruling ordering Dlamini to pay costs for Sassa saga

Black Sash applauds ConCourt ruling ordering Dlamini to pay costs for Sassa saga

The rights group hopes that Parliament will also call into question Dlamini's fitness to hold office following the judgement.

 Bathabile Dlamini ordered to pay up for Sassa debacle

Bathabile Dlamini ordered to pay up for Sassa debacle

The ConCourt has ordered Bathabile Dlamini to pay 20% of Black Sash and Freedom Under Law's legal costs.

Sapo CEO says Sassa deal will generate money to go back into the fiscus

Sapo CEO says Sassa deal will generate money to go back into the fiscus

CEO of the SA Post Office Mark Barnes explains how the Sassa deal will benefit grant beneficiaries and the state in the long run.

Popular articles
Parktown Boys: Body of missing Enock Mpianzi found

Parktown Boys: Body of missing Enock Mpianzi found

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi confirms that the missing body has been found by the police.