MyCiti bus drivers accuse employer of unfair labour practices and ill-treatment

Cape Town commuters were left stranded yet again as the MyCiti bus strike enters its second day.

Mayco Member for Transport, Brett Herron said that the demands of the bus drivers were not known as an agreement with the drivers had been reached about four months ago.

MyCiti Bus strike leader Patrick Mabindisa says the City of Cape Town doesn't want to meet up with them to hear their demands. They keep on avoiding them and saying they don't know what their demands are, he adds.

Read: Striking MyCiti drivers don't want to be outsourced, demand jobs with City of CT

You see the City of Cape Town and our employers, all of them, are undermining us because they don't see our grievances as important.

Patrick Mabindisa, MyCiti Bus strike leader

Mabindisa says they took to the street because they are subjected to unfair labour practices and ill-treatment.

He says that they are also unhappy with the current salary scale. The issue during the previous bus strike was that the authorities chose to ignore it, says Mabindisa.

According to Mabindisa, the strike is not only for MyCiti drivers but includes security, cleaners and cashiers all working under the City of Cape Town or outsourced companies.

We can see that our employers have already scratched us out of our jobs because they don't want to address the tangible issues that affect the workers.

Patrick Mabindisa, MyCiti Bus strike leader

As workers, we tried our utmost best not to go on strike but we were forced by our employers. This means they wanted us to be in the streets.

Patrick Mabindisa, MyCiti Bus strike leader

This is very painful for me because I've already lost two days of my wages but the employers are still going to get their salaries.

Patrick Mabindisa, MyCiti Bus strike leader

Mabindisa says they are prepared to go back to work if the issues outlined are addressed and that no worker participating in the strike will be subjected to any disciplinary process.

For now, the strike continues, says Mabindisa.

To hear the rest of the conversation with Patrick Mabindisa, listen below:


This article first appeared on CapeTalk : MyCiti bus drivers accuse employer of unfair labour practices and ill-treatment


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Impact of new debt-relief bill will be 'severe'

Impact of new debt-relief bill will be 'severe'

The National Credit Amendment Bill aims to help indebted consumers earning less that R7,500 per month, restructure their debt.

MDC calls off protests in Zimbabwe despite ongoing demonstrations by civilians

MDC calls off protests in Zimbabwe despite ongoing demonstrations by civilians

The MDC and various other groups had planned the demonstrations for Friday to highlight the economic crisis.

SA announces visa waivers for four counties

SA announces visa waivers for four counties

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi says Qatar has also relaxed entry requirements for SA citizens.

Striking MyCiti drivers don't want to be outsourced, demand jobs with City of CT

Striking MyCiti drivers don't want to be outsourced, demand jobs with City of CT

Drivers are demanding better working conditions and an end to outsourcing, reports EWN's Monique Mortlock.

CoCT: The demands of MyCiti drivers on strike are as yet unclear

CoCT: The demands of MyCiti drivers on strike are as yet unclear

Mayco Member Brett Herron says the City doesn't know why MyCiti drivers embarked on an illegal strike disrupting the service.

Relief for commuters as bus strike ends following wage agreement

Relief for commuters as bus strike ends following wage agreement

Drivers downed tools for the best part of a month in a row over pay.

Popular articles
'Aarto bill there to create revenue, not to promote road safety'

'Aarto bill there to create revenue, not to promote road safety'

Rudie Heyneke outlines Outa's objections to the traffic demerit system signed into law this week.

'The comedy of errors shows Mkhwebane serving Absa a subpoena intended for FNB'

'The comedy of errors shows Mkhwebane serving Absa a subpoena intended for FNB'

Mail & Guardian investigative editor Thanduxolo Jika unpacks the Public Protector's legal battles.

SA announces visa waivers for four counties

SA announces visa waivers for four counties

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi says Qatar has also relaxed entry requirements for SA citizens.

 Motshekga to implement 'consequence management' at catastrophic schools

Motshekga to implement 'consequence management' at catastrophic schools

Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga has called South Africa's education system a "national catastrophe" and a "crisis".