Clement Manyethela 702 gradient Clement Manyethela 702 gradient
The Clement Manyathela Show

Up Next: The Midday Report with Mandy Wiener
The Clement Manyathela Show

[LISTEN] Callers share how they beat the odds to achieve academic excellence

19 October 2018 11:46 AM
Education
University
Doctors
cleaners

Callers share how they overcame difficult situations to get an education.

A security guard has inspired many South Africans after graduating with an LLB degree from the University of South Africa (Unisa).

Foster Mathebula shared a picture of himself on his graduation on Twitter expressing his joy from the achievement.

Callers on the open line shared their experiences where they overcame difficulties to achieve their academic goals.

I am a medical doctor, I am currently specialising in psychiatry but before I could get a bursary I used to work at a car wash. I worked there for a period of about two years and then I was able to get a sponsor. If I didn't get a distinction I would get angry because I realised the value of education.

Dr Siboniso, Caller

The guy who got an LLB, my hero, and all those who get their degrees despite difficult circumstances. After I graduated from Turfloop, I was unemployed for some time. I applied for a prison warder post and I was selected to go for physical training, I remember I cried. I studied full time while I was working as a prison warder. I would wake up in the morning and go to study. From prison warder to legal advisor.

Dr Makua, Caller

I started off working at a bioscope/ cinema across Brits taxi rank. I used to work there as a cleaner. I then went back to school then I went other to do nursing. After graduated and LLB undergrad was introduced. I now work for legal aid. The sky is the limit.

Lumka, Caller

I grew up as an orphan from a very poor background. I aspired to be a doctor, I worked as a garden boy where I got paid R3. In 1976 I did my matric but exams were disturbed, then I went to the mines and did my matric part-time. I worked at the SABC and other places. I finally managed to study medicine. I am now the CEO of Hardleburg hospital.

Dr Masilela, Caller

Listen to what other callers had to say here:

19 October 2018 11:46 AM
Education
University
Doctors
cleaners

covid-19 coronavirus South Africa lockdown 123rf

UPDATE: Recovery rate surpasses 70% as SA records 414 new deaths

5 August 2020 10:54 PM

The number of national recoveries so far is 377,266, which translates to a recovery rate of 71%. Gauteng has 129,375 recoveries.

afrika-tikkunjpg

SA needs 'the Madiba compassion' more than ever now, says Afrika Tikkun CEO

5 August 2020 8:54 PM

Marc Lubner on the NGO's programmes for young South Africans and how working with Nelson Mandela inspired his life's work.

car insurance short-term cover 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle 123rf

Why it's a bad idea to ditch or downgrade your car insurance to save on costs

5 August 2020 8:21 PM

Involved in an accident you didn't cause? Third party claims don't pay out much. Wendy Knowler shares one driver's horror story.

southern-white-rhino-rhinoceros-in-Kruger-National-park-poaching-poachers-123rf

Good news for overnight accommodation with the reopening of national parks

5 August 2020 6:46 PM

SANParks spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli says inter-provincial travel is still not permissible at this stage.

mbowenibudgetspeech124

All PPE contracts must be published - Mboweni

5 August 2020 6:32 PM

Treasury said that government departments would no longer be allowed to choose suppliers and would have to resort to open tender processes in awarding contracts for PPE and COVID-19-related goods and services.

cyril-2jpg

Trust in President Cyril Ramaphosa has dropped by 20% since lockdown - survey

5 August 2020 6:15 PM

Ask Afrika's findings reveal that the fear of unemployment among South Africans is higher than that of contracting COVID-19.

200422-cigarettes-edjpg

Tobacco sales ban violates consumer rights, free trade rights - Batsa

5 August 2020 4:46 PM

British American Tobacco South Africa (Batsa) lawyer Alfred Cockrell said that the key argument in the matter was that the ban violated the rights of consumers, including, the right to dignity, privacy and to bodily and psychological integrity.

Surgical mask sanitiser gym fitness dumbell 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle

South Africa now dealing with COVID-19 reinfections - report

5 August 2020 4:38 PM

EWN reporter Mia Lindeque says the surge could have been contained but Zweli Mkhize cautioned citizens they should not relax.

Mask South African flag coronavirus Covid-19 lockdown 123rf

#Covid-19: 'KZN, Free State still very much on an upward trajectory'

5 August 2020 1:57 PM

Mandy Wiener talks to Wits professor of vaccinology Shabir Madhi about the state of the pandemic in South Africa.

ANC

Listeners united in condemnation songs on ANC's response to corruption claims

5 August 2020 11:18 AM

The ANC’s national executive committee says it is deeply embarrassed and outraged by the COVID corruption allegations.