One of the accused in the Vlakfontein murder case who had previously abandoned his bail application made an about-turn when he brought a formal bail application at Lenasia Magistrates Court on Monday.
Ernest Mabaso last week said he didn’t want bail because he feared for his life.
His co-accused, Fita Khupe, also applied for bail. The pair are accused of murdering seven people - four children and three women from the same family.
Their case has been postponed to next week.
Eyewitness News (EWN) reporter Bonga Dlulane has more on the story.
It took the state by surprise, Mabaso is saying that he feels scared in prison because he is being threatened by Khupe...we are not getting the details as to how that is possible because one is at the Johannesburg Central and the other is at Sun City.— Bonga Dlulane, EWN reporter
One of the policeman we were speaking to says it is a delaying tactic from Mabaso because at the moment he has a new lawyer and he is trying to work the system.— Bonga Dlulane, EWN reporter
Click on the link below to listen to the full report...