The Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100 is scheduled to be held in Johannesburg this coming weekend.
This is the first Global Citizen Festival to be held in Africa. It is a free-ticketed event taking place on Sunday 2 December at the FNB Stadium, Johannesburg.
The event aims to honour the late Nelson Mandela's legacy in the fight to end extreme poverty.
Activists and music fans can earn an entry by taking action on health and nutrition, education, gender equality, water and sanitation, and the criminalisation of poverty.
However, an activist for menstrual health and hygiene Zola Ndwandwe is not happy with the how the process has unfolded.
She took to Twitter on Tuesday claiming she has been exploited by the organisers.
Speaking to Bongani Bingwa, Ndwandwa says she has been working with the Global Citizen team for the past six months about menstrual health and hygiene matters.
She says they have been working on these matters in conjunction with Team Free Sanitary Pads. Prior to that, she formulated an entire research report with the aim to end period poverty, she adds.
Unfortunately, owing to the abrupt unpleasant experience of Global Citizen, Team Free Sanitary Pads has been sidelined from the events and actions.— Zola Ndwandwe, menstrual health and hygiene activist
I want an undertaking from the Global Citizen team to refrain from using my work at the next upcoming JCI, African Youth Development Summit as well on the actual Global Citizen SA event.— Zola Ndwandwe, menstrual health and hygiene activist
She claims that the Global Citizen Team has not helped her cause and the organisers have not given her and her team the publicity they were expecting.
She says her expectations in working with the Global Citizen team was to have a platform to connect with various stakeholders in meeting the objectives.
Going to the Global Citizen Festival would have been the perfect platform to engage with the key stakeholders on fulfilling the objectives of making sanitary pads as accessible as condoms.— Zola Ndwandwe, menstrual health and hygiene activist
Bongani says the festival explains that side events that are not part of the main event don't go ahead as planned and is not malicious on their part. Scheduling did not allow for it to be included.
He questions why she is upset since, by her own admission, working with Global Citizen has not added value to her work.
Read below the full thread by Ndwandwe:
Guys so this is what happened with the Global Citizen Team,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
[ A THREAD ]
1. So here I am a young black South African woman with a dream to see an end towards Period Poverty;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
I compiled a whole research draft into Menstrual Health and Hygiene,
get various individuals involved and then innocently sought the help of Global Citizens.
2. Global Citizens lured me into their various programs and I followed;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
although my parents were totally against the whole idea from the word go,
however supported my trip with Unilever through Domestos.
3. Global Citizen Lead for Water, Sanitation & Hygiene,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
also used me for their filming with Radical Media for National Geographic, where they made me sign contracts for confidentiality purposes etc.
Here I am the South African Activist for Menstrual Health & Hygiene.
4. I'm assuming with their filming they are going to be pocketing a huge sums of money probably in the millions for selling the property which involves my efforts & energies;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
so now to cut the long story short.
[ As I also need to seek some Legal Advise ].
5. So there was a contract between Global Citizen & I,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
although not expressed in writing,
however intentions were there,
that first & foremost we were going to make the Menstrual Health & Hygiene Management a reality in South Africa JOINTLY as my energies were used.
6. Amongst various things included in the contract was that,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
I was meant to be speaking at the Various Events in South Africa together with the Global Citizen Team as the Youth Activists for Menstrual Health & Hygiene,
thus securing my VIP Ticket to speak at the GC Festival.
7. Here's the documents accordingly: pic.twitter.com/rbtGdmJBq7— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
8. Now Global Citizens have seen it 'okay' to abruptly decide that,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
after all of my efforts that I have put into the Menstrual Health & Hygiene ACTIONS with the Global Citizens,
securing us over 100 000 Actions,
that I should be excluded from the event.
9. In all total honesty Global Citizen Team would not have been very much aware of the various issues occurring in South Africa if it weren't for my tweets & various ideas per the ACTIONS South Africans were taking,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
Global Citizen would not be in the position it is in today.
10. Even they themselves admitted at the Global Citizen Dinner that if it weren't for my EFFORTS & ENERGIES,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
MENSTRUAL HEALTH & HYGIENE would not have been the FOCUL POINT of the GLOBAL CITIZEN FESTIVAL SOUTH AFRICA.
Proof of our meetings! pic.twitter.com/tmKvFq63fE
11. Now in the END the Global Citizen Team wants to exclude me from all the events however they still have my knowledge & expertise in recoding;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
after having shared all my EFFORTS & ENERGIES,
specifically for all that will be said at the events & how the events will be run.
12. South Africa,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
as much as I want to let go and let KARMA handle it,
I know some will try to stop me,
but the Global Citizen Team has UNJUSTIFIABLY BEEN ENRICHED from MOST if not ALL, of MY EFFORTS.
It's SAFE to CALL IT A SCAM.
13. I will be seeking LEGAL ADVISE accordingly as I BELIEVE I HAVE SOLID grounds to sue,— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
the GLOBAL CITIZEN TEAM & have them pay for my LEGAL COSTS as well as my TRAVEL COSTS.
Also they will have to apply the principal of RESTITUTIO IN INTEGRUM.
It's BEEN SIX MONTHS!
14. I want to entertain my emotions as I'm devastated & disappointed;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
as I tweet my emotional stability & psychology has been grossly affected,
will be speaking to my parents as well a trained Advocate.
I can't let this one go, international organizations think SAns are a joke
15. The Global Citizen Team wants to make it as though they DID ALL THE WORK;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
of which it's safe to say they did little to close to nothing,
I mean they just recently arrived from NYC,
I have been in SA most of the time & fighting the cause.
16. I must say JULIUS MALEMA did warn us you guys;— Zola Ndwandwe 🔑👑💃🏽 (@ZolaNdwandwe) November 27, 2018
JULIUS MALEMA was right,
I'm going to need @AdvDali_Mpofu on this one;
I'm willing to pay up the LEGAL FEES,
Dali Mpofu I need you in suing the Global Citizen Team;
I won't be surprised if BEYONCÉ was also a scam.
Listen below to the full interview: