Banyana lose out on R100k bonus offer after Safa says no thanks to MiWay’s money
The CEO of insurance company MiWay says he's at a loss for words after the SA Football Association (Safa) rejected his R100 000 donation towards the successful Banyana Banyana side.
MiWay’s CEO Rene Otto pledged the money towards the team as a once-off festive bonus after a call for corporate SA to show its support to the women's side.
Banyana has been celebrated for qualifying for next year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup in France‚ which will be their first appearance at the global finals.
After the news that they qualified, many people highlighted the pay discrepancies between national men's team and the national women's team.
Otto says Banyana players are underpaid, despite displaying a level of excellence that the country has not seen for a long time.
He argues that the offer was to the players and not Safa, adding that it's the players who ultimately lose out.
Otto claims the company's intentions were good, even though they have been described as opportunistic by Safa.
On Monday, South Africans celebrated the return of Banyana Banyana from the 2018 Women's African Cup of Nations.
I can't explain to you why Safa turned the offer down... I'm a little bit at a loss for words.Rene Otto, MiWay CEO
The offer was not made to Safa, but to the players. They are the ones who overcame the obstacles and showed us a level of excellence that we haven't seen for a long time in the country.Rene Otto, MiWay CEO
It's really just a donation to celebrate excellence.Rene Otto, MiWay CEO
No one at Safa spoke to us... They just say we are being opportunistic.Rene Otto, MiWay CEO
The players are underpaid.Rene Otto, MiWay CEO
Listen to the discussion on The Pippa Hudson Show:
WATCH: Banyana Banyana receive hero's welcome
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Banyana lose out on R100k bonus offer after Safa says no thanks to MiWay’s money
Brent Lindeque, the founder of Good Things Guy, says Brad Binder has really made the country happy.Read More
Brad Binder has become the first South African to win a MotoGP premier class race.Read More
The club has said in a statement that the two will be able to play once disciplinary processes have been finalised.Read More
The motorcycle racer flew the South African flag high with his first win in the MotoGP premier class on Sunday.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Senior journalist for the Sheffield Star says there is more to come from the Bafana Bafana star.Read More
Minister of Sports Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa has met with the governing bodies of swimming, hockey, and cricket to discuss sub-standard transformation targets.Read More
Amakhosi said that the action is part of policies and monitoring of the public conduct of the club's members, players and staff.Read More
Cricket West Indies chief executive Johnny Grave said last week they were hopeful of hosting South Africa in September for either two tests or five T20 internationals, but Smith has made clear that will not happen.Read More
Faul stepped in for suspended CEO Thabang Moroe in December when he was placed under investigation.Read More