Government demands verification letters from unpaid Life Esidimeni families
Families of the Life Esidimeni victims have marched to the offices of the premier in Gauteng demanding payments as recommended by retired Judge Dikgang Moseneke at the arbitration.
CapeTalk/702 host Xolani Gwala spoke to one of the relatives who says that they started the claiming process after Judge Moseneke made his ruling.
Sibongile, not her real name, says she is part of the 200 people who were told that they will be paid by the 10 December.
She says they held a meeting yesterday in which they were told there are discrepancies in the payment processes.
The meeting was pretty useless. They told us that there were discrepancies while doing audits so the process is almost put on halt till they sort out those things.Sibongile, Family member to the victim
Sibongile says in September they were told that the verification process had been completed and they will be paid no later than 10 December. She says now additional issues have been raised.
We wouldn't be fighting like this if the due date was not set by them. The Director-General stood there and said everyone would've been paid by the 10th of December 2018.Sibongile, Family member to the victim
Gauteng government spokesperson Thabo Masebe says no one stipulated that the verification process was complete. He says only the first step was completed and a second process an independent institution remains outstanding.
It is a requirement by law that people who are making claims should obtain a letter from the Master of the Court detailing or confirming the nature of the relationship between them and the person on whose behalf they are making the claims.Thabo Masebe, Gauteng government spokesperson
That is the process that is currently underway.Thabo Masebe, Gauteng government spokesperson
Masebe acknowledges that the date of the 10 December was set but this was before they were cautioned that the claimants would need a letter from the Master of the Court to confirm their relationship with the victims.
No new date has been set but Masebe says they are committed to seeing this process to completion.
As government, we are absolutely committed to settling the claims as soon as possible as long as all the claimants comply with the law.Thabo Masebe, Gauteng government spokesperson
An attorney Lesley in Saxonwold called in and explains that the process of getting a letter from the Master of the Court could take months because the families will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt their relationship with the deceased.
Lesley says the process takes time and involves a lot of documentation and requires the families having to provide the original death certificates of the deceased.
To hear the rest of the conversation, listen below:
The police minister spokesperson says finally the court has ruled Saps wasn't supposed to provide protection for Zulu and Stuta.Read More
Wits University law professor advocate James Grant unpacks government's lockdown regulations and the recent court loses.Read More
Satdu Western Cape secretary Jonavon Rustin says they are not 100% sure all schools will be compliant.Read More
African National Congress regional secretary TK Nciza social media policy of the party must be followed by all members.Read More
Eusebius McKaiser says government has 14 days to study the judgment that says regulations were invalid and unconstitutional.Read More
Liberty Fighters Network's Reyno Dawid de Beer says the court declared all levels as invalid not just level three and four.Read More
The African National Congress spokesperson says they encourage their comrades to use the right platforms to raise issues.Read More
Chris Baragwanath Hospital CEO Dr Nkele Lesia says Level 3 started the number of trauma cases has doubled.Read More
Nickolaus Bauer on the Eusebius McKaiser Show facilitates a discussion on the different regulations under this new lockdown level.Read More
The Department of Energy on Monday said the retail price of all grades of petrol would increase by R1.18 cents per litre.Read More