City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for transport, Felicity Purchase has confirmed that a MyCiTi bus was petrol bombed on Monday evening just before 10 pm.
The driver and a passenger were seriously injured and the bus was burned.
Purchase says an investigation is underway. No motive or suspects have been identified.
It's a pattern that's developed but I can't tell who it was at the moment.— Felicity Purchase, Mayco member for transport
The bus service is currently only operating at 85% as a result of the bus strike where over 80 staff members were fired, she explains.
She says this latest incident makes it unlikely MyCiTi will be operating at 100% by the end of next week.
This is not the first incident since the strike. Another MyCiti bus was burned last week in Mitchells Plain and Purchase says it will continue providing law enforcement escorts to ensure that the lives of the drivers and passengers are secured.
Until government does something about this in a forceful way, we are going to continue with this behaviour and it is unacceptable.— Felicity Purchase, Mayco member for transport
We cannot allow this country to be destroyed the way it has been destroyed, and it is a handful of people in the bigger picture and we being held ransom by the criminal behaviour.— Felicity Purchase, Mayco member for transport
To hear the rest of the conversation with Mayco member Felicity Purchase, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Cape Town's MyCiTi bus service woes continue as yet another bus torched