Betty's Bay is under threat, says fire chief
CAPE TOWN - Several structures have been gutted in the Betty's Bay area as high winds fan the flames of fires which are once again raging in the Overberg.
Firefighters are battling several blazes in the region that reignited earlier on Friday.
The fires are now raging in Franskraal, Karwyderskraal and Betty's Bay where the inferno is moving down the mountain towards the road.
The Overstrand Municipality issued an urgent evacuation order for Franskraal at lunchtime on Friday.
Overberg fire chief Reinhardt Geldenhuys says Betty's Bay is under threat.
“The big fires in Betty's Bay, those lines came down the mountain. So far we have several structures lost. We don’t even want to take account of it, but we know there are structures burning. Right now the wind is very strong [and] gusting 70 and 80 kilometres an hour. So, all we are doing is getting people safe and away from the fire. We're trying to save whatever we can.”
Meanwhile, in Hermanus, a resident says she also had to evacuate her home on instruction from the local municipality as a fire there is also threatening property.
“The municipality sent out an SMS to Hermanus residents and asked people in Eastcliff to evacuate and to take with them their pets, family members, essential items [and] medication to get into their cars to drive to a safe place.”
This article first appeared on EWN : Betty's Bay is under threat, says fire chief
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More