As the inventor of the “Please Call Me” seeks to challenge Vodacom’s compensation payout, the #PleaseCallMe Movement has stated that it will not back down on its decision to shut down Vodacom HQ in Midrand on Thursday.
Earlier this month, Vodacom said in a statement that it now views the “Please Call Me compensation matter" as closed after an agreement was tabled to Nkosana Makate and his lawyers.
The matter has however caused public outrage as Makate has now gained significant support with Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams and Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi throwing their weight behind him.
Azania Mosaka spoke to founder and editor at Techcentral Duncan McLeod for the details of the case.
Makate has been claiming an amount that is running into billions and billions of rand. I think Vodacom was never going to table an offer of that amount to Makate so it was inevitable that this matter would head back to court.— Duncan McLeod, Founder and editor - Techcentral
It is fair to say that this [please call me invention] is has generated billions in revenue for Vodacom. It has enabled people in the lower end of the market to send a message to someone to ask them to call them back, so there is no doubt that it has generated significant additional revenue and traffic flowing across the Vodacom network as a result.— Duncan McLeod, Founder and editor - Techcentral
Mcleaod says however, MTN may have more of an ability stake a claim over the please call me service.
Why MTN didn't decide to enforce its patent against Vodacom, it's not entirely clear but certainly the paper trail suggests that in fact MTN probably has more of an ability to stake a claim to the Please Call Me type service than Vodacom does.— Duncan McLeod, Founder and editor - Techcentral
Click on the link below to hear more from McLeod....