Gauteng’s top prosecutor has described the suspiciousness with which the criminal case against former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli was dropped.
North Gauteng director of public prosecutions Sibongile Mzinyathi testified at the Mokgoro Inquiry in Centurion on Wednesday.
The inquiry is investigating Mrwebi and Nomgcobo Jiba’s fitness to hold office, reports EWN's Barry Bateman.
Mzinyathi says he was surprised at the unilateral decision by Lawrence Mrwebi to withdraw charges against Mdluli.
Mzinyathi claims Mrwebi paid him a visit soon after he was appointed as a special director in 2011.
Mrwebi told him he was considering legal representations from Mdluli.
But Mzinyathi says that a memorandum predating their conversation revealed that he had already taken a decision to withdraw the case.
What Sibongile Mzinyathi did was confirming the evidence of Glynnis Breytenbach that there was this interference in the prosecution of Mdluli by Lawrence Mrwebi.— Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Even after Mdluli has left Saps, the current police administration still appear to be protecting him. They will not declassify documents which are evidentiary in this case against him.— Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Listen to the EWN update:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Prosecutor gives evidence of suspected meddling in quashed Mdluli charges