Willie Hofmeyr's lawyers object to his cross-examination on spy tapes saga
The Mokgoro Commission of Inquiry continued in Centurion on Wednesday looking into the fitness to hold office by suspended deputy national director of public prosecutions Nomgcobo Jiba and suspended specialised crime unit head Lawrence Mrwebi.
The deputy national director of public prosecutions, Willie Hofmeyr accused both Mrwebi and Jiba of interfering with cases.
He told the commission how Jiba and Mrwebi refused to provide reports on controversial cases the NPA was dealing with at the time.
EWN reporter Barry Bateman says Hofmeyr was cross-examined on Wednesday by Jiba's lawyers on the spy tapes matter, but his lawyers objected saying that he is not the subject of the inquiry and the line of questioning is outside of terms of reference.
They are saying it is unfair that he is questioned or be asked questions that might self incriminate him.Barry Bateman, Senior reporter - EWN
So they asked the commission to rule on the fact that he shouldn't be cross-examined on these particular matters.Barry Bateman, Senior reporter - EWN
On the other hand, Jiba's lawyers are saying that it is unacceptable that Hofmeyr can make damning allegations "bad mouthing" their client and is not allowed to be cross-examined
They are saying it comes down to the integrity of the witness. There were significant findings made against Willie Hofmeyr in the spy tapes matter and he should be able to answer questions.Barry Bateman, Senior reporter - EWN
To hear the rest of the conversation with Barry Bateman, listen below:
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More