Sanef to meet communications minister over her blocking camera crew from filming
The South African National Editors’ Forum has condemned the actions of the Communication Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams after she blocked an SABC crew from filming the protesters.
Although Ndabeni-Abrahams has issued an apology, Sanef's Chairperson Mahlatse Mahlase says the minister's action sends a very dangerous message.
She says the minister's apology doesn't acknowledge the severity of her actions.
A meeting has been set for Wednesday between the Minister and Sanef.
We are heading towards elections and we cannot afford to have ministers trying to block journalists from doing their work... She should know better.Mahlatse Mahlase, Chairperson - Sanef
We would like to have that meeting with her to explain to her our concerns. We also believe that there should be an apology extended to the SABC journalists and to the South African public at large.Mahlatse Mahlase, Chairperson - Sanef
Mahlasi says Sanef does not have the power to ask for the minister to step down as this is the prerogative of the president.
We always say we should avail an opportunity to have a conversation with the minister.Mahlatse Mahlase, Chairperson - Sanef
In our organisation there hasn't been a conversation for her to step down. We have agreed to meet with her and put forward our concerns.Mahlatse Mahlase, Chairperson - Sanef
To hear the rest of the conversation, listen below:
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More