ANC apologises to Gordhan and Mchunu over alleged remarks on black professionals
The African National Congress (ANC) has apologised for its backlash directed at Pubic Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan and ANC head of Organising Senzo Mchunu for the alleged remarks made against black engineers.
In a statement issued this week, the party accused Gordhan and Mchunu of launching an attack on black professionals.
Demanding an apology on Thursday, Gordhan responded with a statement asking the party to retract its statement.
The minister said "I want to state empathetically that I have not made any public statements diminishing the status of black engineers...I therefore reject and find extremely offensive, the contents of the statement."
Acting National Spokesperson Zizi Kodwa says Gordhan and Mchunu's statements were taken out of context.
We accept to acknowledged that leaders of the ANC are criss- corsing the country meeting different constituencies and and some of the reports from the media, we need to rebut immediately and because of the anonymity we may not have time to call people the statements are attributed to....Zizi Kodwa, Acting national spokesperson - ANC
In this regard we were not in the position immediately to call the comrades but we did a thorough investigation and having spoken to both of them, it was clear their statements were taken out of context.Zizi Kodwa, Acting national spokesperson - ANC
The ANC apologizes to Pravin Gordhan and Senzo Mchunu after Gordhan demanded an apology. The ANC had sent out a statement condemning their “remarks” on black professionals. Now the party withdrawals that condemnation and apologizes. pic.twitter.com/Zkt1K2s3Z0— Clement Manyathela (@TheRealClementM) February 21, 2019
Click on the link below to hear more from Kodwa...
In his "From The Desk of the President" column, Cyril Ramaphosa unpacks a number of commitments made under Generation Equality.Read More
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More