Eskom and authorities have to plan for worst case scenario, says energy expert
Energy expert Chris Yelland says Eskom and other government authorities have rightfully prepared for any possible eventualities, including a national blackout.
Yelland says South Africans should be comforted and not alarmed by the fact that Eskom has made contingency plans including stage 5,6, 7 and 8 of load shedding.
According to Yelland, plans for stage 5 to 8 were formalised months ago.
However, he says that planning for an eventuality doesn't mean it is likely to happen.
Yelland maintains that it is the irresponsible thing for the power utility to do to prepare for eventualities including a national blackout and the protocols required for a restart.
Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan on Tuesday told the nation that Eskom's crisis had shifted from financial to operational.
Yelland says that he'd be far more worried about a national blackout if there were no plans in place as Eskom struggles to keep the country's lights on.
Gordhan pointed to the fact that the crisis at Eskom seems to have shifted from a financial crisis to now being a serious operational crisis, reflected by the load shedding that we see now on a daily basis.Chris Yelland, energy expert
There are also plans being made for the eventuality of a black start and what it involves to start a power system from scratch.Chris Yelland, energy expert
That doesn't mean that it is a likely scenario, but it would be remiss for Eskom and emergencies auathorities not to plan for the unthinkable and even the remote possChris Yelland, energy expert
Listen him put the spotlight on Eskom's crisis:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Eskom and authorities have to plan for worst case scenario, says energy expert
People can make donations through Webtickets and send those voucher codes to AurelieK@ewn.co.za.Read More
There were 111 new COVID-19 deaths: 50 from Gauteng; 35 from the Western Cape; 17 from Limpopo and 9 from the Eastern Cape.Read More
Joanne Joseph spoke to Cipla South Africa CEO Paul Miller to find out more.Read More
The Save Our SABC Coalition says the public broadcaster must look at other measures before retrenching staff.Read More
Solidarity union says a lack of communication from the Department of Social Development forced it to take this matter to court.Read More
Philip Truter was granted R50,000 bail in the Palm Ridge Commercial Crimes Court earlier on Monday, after saying he was unemployed and could not get a job.Read More
Veteran actress Lillian Dube says Mary Twala was professional, down to earth and respected people - young and old - the same way.Read More
The ANC said Mashatile will isolate for 14 days so his health can be monitored.Read More
He and his mutual bank co-accused face charges including racketeering, theft, fraud and corruption.Read More
Wits University emeritus professor of critical care Guy Richards says SA is running into a crisis as the virus peak approaches.Read More