Sunday Times asked to return journalism award for tainted 'death squad' stories
The Sunday Times has officially been stripped of the journalism award given for its controversial reporting on the Cato Manor 'death squad'.
The conveners of the Taco Kuiper Award decided to investigate the allegations that the paper ran 'tainted' scoops on the so-called death squads in 2011.
It's since been alleged that the reports on the Cato Manor killings were used to push an agenda that led to the suspension of KZN’s Hawks head, Johan Booysen.
The journalists involved in the story were Stephan Hoffstatter, Mzilikazi wa Africa and Rob Rose.
Anton Harber, a convener of the Taco Kuiper Award, says the judging panel had received a motivation from Booysen to review the award at the same time that the publication took the decision to withdraw the stories.
Harber says the while elements of the story had merit, "shoddy journalism", "questionable witnesses" and lack of verification made it unreliable.
There was a legitimate investigation into that Cato Manor Hawks unit that was justified, but unfortunately they messed up the story.Anton Harber, Adjunct professor of journalism - Wits University
The result had serious consequences for individuals, the Hawks and the whole state capture agenda.Anton Harber, Adjunct professor of journalism - Wits University
He says the journalists involved did not apply critical scrutiny to the story and sources used while investigating.
We ran our own investigation and came to the conclusion that there were major problems with the story.Anton Harber, Adjunct professor of journalism - Wits University
There were factual inaccuracies, errors and gaps in the story.Anton Harber, Adjunct professor of journalism - Wits University
Elements of the story allowed themselves to be led along by people whose intentions were politically motivated and not the truthAnton Harber, Adjunct professor of journalism - Wits University
Harber says journalists need to be held more accountable for their negligence.
Listen to the full discussion on Afternoon Drive with Joanne Joseph:
The number of national recoveries so far is 377,266, which translates to a recovery rate of 71%. Gauteng has 129,375 recoveries.Read More
Marc Lubner on the NGO's programmes for young South Africans and how working with Nelson Mandela inspired his life's work.Read More
Involved in an accident you didn't cause? Third party claims don't pay out much. Wendy Knowler shares one driver's horror story.Read More
SANParks spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli says inter-provincial travel is still not permissible at this stage.Read More
Treasury said that government departments would no longer be allowed to choose suppliers and would have to resort to open tender processes in awarding contracts for PPE and COVID-19-related goods and services.Read More
Ask Afrika's findings reveal that the fear of unemployment among South Africans is higher than that of contracting COVID-19.Read More
British American Tobacco South Africa (Batsa) lawyer Alfred Cockrell said that the key argument in the matter was that the ban violated the rights of consumers, including, the right to dignity, privacy and to bodily and psychological integrity.Read More
EWN reporter Mia Lindeque says the surge could have been contained but Zweli Mkhize cautioned citizens they should not relax.Read More
Mandy Wiener talks to Wits professor of vaccinology Shabir Madhi about the state of the pandemic in South Africa.Read More
The ANC’s national executive committee says it is deeply embarrassed and outraged by the COVID corruption allegations.Read More