Streaming issues? Report here
kenny-show-picjpg kenny-show-picjpg
702 Music with Kenny Maistry
10:00 - 14:00
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: 702 Music with Nonn Botha
See full line-up
702 Music with Kenny Maistry
10:00 - 14:00
Home
arrow_forward
Lifestyle

Motsoaledi says SA must become self-reliant if US cuts Aids funding

8 April 2019 8:39 AM
Tags:
ARV medication
HIV/Aids
Dr Aaron Motsoaledi
#hiv

Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has responded to an announcement that the US may cut its funding for HIV treatment in SA.

The US has intimated it may be planning to cut its funding for HIV treatment in SA by more than R5 billion.

Talking to Kieno Kammies, Health Minister Aaron Motsolaedi says this decision does not surprise him.

80% of the HIV scheme is funded from South Africa's own fiscus and the remaining 20% from development partners, which includes the US's Pepfar (President’s Emergency Plan for Aids Relief)

Pepfar donated more than R10 billion to South Africa for the 2018/19 financial year.

Part of the reason we decided to increase our own internal spending is that we know when you depend on foreign funding, you know it can dry up at any time for whatever reason.

Aaron Motsoaledi, Minister - Department of Health

No country owes another country any amount of money, so this did not come as a surprise.

Aaron Motsoaledi, Minister - Department of Health

According to Motsoaledi, the announcement is not yet definite but rather a proposal. He says a South African team will be travelling to the US on 19 April to make a presentation to US Congress.

It is reported that the US is planning to cut its HIV scheme to many other African countries as well.

Motsoaledi says South Africa will have to pick up the slack if the US decides to do this and find internal funding.

To hear the rest of the conversation, listen below:


This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Motsoaledi says SA must become self-reliant if US cuts Aids funding


8 April 2019 8:39 AM
Tags:
ARV medication
HIV/Aids
Dr Aaron Motsoaledi
#hiv

Recommended

More from Lifestyle

siv-ngesijpg

Siv Ngesi: I made a conscious decision that I will never move to Joburg

10 July 2020 5:17 PM

Talented actor, dancer, comedian and activist Siv Ngesi says where there is uncomfortability that is where the growth is happening.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

aka-chats-about-music-personal-growth-and-lockdown-with-zwelipng

'Stay safe' warns AKA as he reveals he has coronavirus

10 July 2020 3:46 PM

The rapper urged South Africans to adhere to social distancing guidelines and to wear their masks.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

mary-twalajpg

WATCH LIVE: Funeral service for veteran actress Mary Twala

9 July 2020 8:29 AM

The 80-year-old passed away over the weekend at Park Lane hospital in Johannesburg.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

magazinejpg

#Magazines: 'There are definite losses and gains in the move to digital'

8 July 2020 12:05 PM

Clement Manyathela speaks to experts about the evolution of the magazine industry.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Covid-19 insurance 123rf 123rfbusiness 123rflifestyle 123rfpersonalfinance

Shareholder activists grill Santam about 'business interruption insurance'

7 July 2020 6:47 PM

The lockdown did it – not the pandemic – so we can’t pay, argues Santam. Bruce Whitfield interviews Tracey Davies of Just Share.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

191111capetown2jpg

Authorised Siya Kolisi biography coming in 2021

7 July 2020 2:52 PM

The book does not yet have a title but will be published next year, ahead of the forthcoming Lions tour to South Africa in 2021.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Aisha Pandor SweepSouth Alen Ribic

Job won’t make you rich. You must earn in your sleep - Aisha Pandor, SweepSouth

6 July 2020 8:39 PM

Bruce Whitfield talks to SweepSouth cofounder Aisha Pandor about her attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures).

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Frog in a pot

Are we boiling frogs? And why do SUV drivers look so confused, asks Tom Eaton

6 July 2020 8:18 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews columnist Tom Eaton about his new book, "Is it me, or is it getting hot in here?"

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

pitika-ntuli-exhibitionjpg

[LISTEN] Professor Pitika Ntuli on the inspiration behind his latest exhibition

6 July 2020 4:05 PM

The exhibition comprises of 45 pieces sculpted from bone.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

covid-19 coronavirus South Africa lockdown 123rf

[LISTEN] The psychology behind breaking lockdown regulations

6 July 2020 12:34 PM

Clement Manyathela speaks to clinical psychologist Ruth Ancer about the reasons why some people may be refusing to social distance

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward