'Khayelitsha councillors felt safety, security or policing was not a priority'

Councillors from Khayelitsha spend their budget on Chrismas parties and popularity purchases. This is according to City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith.

As a result of the misspending of funds, Khayelitsha will not get CCTV cameras from the 44 the City of Cape Town will install.

The R17 million cameras will be installed in areas such as Blaauwberg, Table View, Milnerton, Plattekloof, Parow and Kraaifontein.

Speaking to John Maytham, Smith says the Khayelitsha councillors have not allocated money for the cameras in the budget.

92% of the CCTV cameras were budgeted for by DA councillors and the remaining 8% by ANC councillors.

JP Smith, Mayoral committee member , Safety and security at City of Cape Town

READ: CoCT installs CCTV cameras in public transport facilities for commuter safety

Not a single one of the Khayelitsha councillors felt safety, security or policing was a priority and so didn't provide for CCTV.

JP Smith, Mayoral committee member - Safety and security at City of Cape Town

Listen to the full interview below...


This article first appeared on CapeTalk : 'Khayelitsha councillors felt safety, security or policing was not a priority'


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Proteas announce 2019 Cricket World Cup squad

Proteas announce 2019 Cricket World Cup squad

Seven of the selected players will experience the tournament cup for the first time.

Approval for Inyanda Roodeplaat Wind Farm set aside

Approval for Inyanda Roodeplaat Wind Farm set aside

BirdLife South Africa says there is enough land for wind farms where they won't be a harm to birds.

'Removing Ramaphosa now as ANC president would be a challenge'

'Removing Ramaphosa now as ANC president would be a challenge'

Professor Steven Friedman says no ANC president has ever been removed between conferences.

Find out what motivated Olivia Pharo to open her own healthcare facility

Find out what motivated Olivia Pharo to open her own healthcare facility

Former nurse says caring for patients is her passion.

First printed 3D heart unveiled

First printed 3D heart unveiled

Scientists in Israel say this advances possibilities for transplants.

CoCT installs CCTV cameras in public transport facilities for commuter safety

CoCT installs CCTV cameras in public transport facilities for commuter safety

The cameras will be monitored from the Transport Incident Command Centre in Cape Town.

Popular articles
You’re almost certainly – no matter what you believe - crap at investing

You’re almost certainly – no matter what you believe - crap at investing

Data shows that almost everyone sucks at investing, says Warren Ingram. Here's how to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.

'We wanted Patricia de Lille to go, Patricia de Lille went'

'We wanted Patricia de Lille to go, Patricia de Lille went'

DA's Mike Moriarty says this matter is about whether the IEC has powers to make judgements about the former mayor.

[WATCH] Eusebius probes Julius Malema about EFF's readiness to rule

[WATCH] Eusebius probes Julius Malema about EFF's readiness to rule

Eusebius McKaiser interrogates the leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters about its policy manifesto.

Giant ANC billboard with spelling error has social media in stitches

Giant ANC billboard with spelling error has social media in stitches

Khabazela shares tweets and Facebook posts that have gone viral.

New Ipsos poll shows ANC winning 2019 election, rates Ramaphosa a vote puller

New Ipsos poll shows ANC winning 2019 election, rates Ramaphosa a vote puller

Senior client officer at Ipsos, Mari Harris says President Cyril Ramaphosa's trust index is higher than other leaders.

46 women rescued in Joburg sex trafficking raid

46 women rescued in Joburg sex trafficking raid

An expert on human trafficking explains how the syndicate operates and how women are lured into dens.