Ramaphosa fires Jiba and Mrwebi
President Cyril Ramaphosa has decided to axe Nomgcobo Jiba from office as Deputy National Director of Public Prosecutions, as well as Lawrence Mrwebi as Special Director of Public Prosecutions.
Letters were served to the pair on Thursday night after a report by retired Constitutional Court Justice Yvonne Mokgoro established that the two are neither fit nor proper to hold their respective offices within the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).
Thursday marked the end of their suspension, placing pressure on the president to act on the recommendation set out by Mokgoro.
Eyewitness News reporter Barry Bateman has more on the story.
What happens next? Well the president's decision must be referred to Parliament within the next two weeks and then within 30 days after that Parliament has to take a decision on whether to confirm or reject the president's decisions.Barry Bateman, Reporter - EWN
The president's hands were tied. There was only one decision to be made.Barry Bateman, Reporter - EWN
Advocate Glynnis Breytenbach says Jiba and Mrwebi have caused havoc in the NPA and the decision could not have come a moment too soon.
He had very little choice. To go against the unanimous outcome of an inquiry chaired by Justice Mokgoro would have been impossible for him.Advocate Glynnis Breytenbach
Click on the link below to hear the full report...
In his "From The Desk of the President" column, Cyril Ramaphosa unpacks a number of commitments made under Generation Equality.Read More
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More