SAHRC holds second sitting in bid to scrutinise Alexandra Renewal Project
The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has convened a second sitting in an inquiry into service delivery issues in Alexandra, Johannesburg.
The probe, which is a collaboration between the commission and the Public Protector’s office, comes after residents went on a rampage last month, blocking streets and calling for better services.
The commission has particularly focused on the Alex Renewal Project from several years back, which should’ve guaranteed that the community’s services were upgraded.
The commission is investigating possible maladministration and corruption.
Eyewitness News reporter Edwin Ntshidi has more on the story.
The commission kicked off with oral submissions from the public who listed a litany of allegations into the programme.Edwin Ntshidi, Reporter - EWN
One member of the community who is also a property owner in the area, in fact, says the renewal project was an enemy of the people, saying when it was incepted some of their properties were demolished and they were expected to fork out their own money...Edwin Ntshidi, Reporter - EWN
Others are complaining about lack of services that prompted residents to embark on a violent service delivery protest. They are saying nothing has been done for them. Cops were also a focal point, one lady saying police are doing nothing for them.Edwin Ntshidi, Reporter - EWN
Click on the link below to hear the full report....
Eusebius McKaiser facilitates a discussion on the state of readiness for employers for employees during this lockdown level.Read More
Transport minister gives the different regulations for the industry as the country moves to lockdown Level 3.Read More
Gauteng MEC Panyaza Lesufi and Naptosa's Basil Manuel weigh in on pupils now returning to schools on 8 June.Read More
The minister was set to give an update on Sunday evening after meeting unions and organisations who wanted re-opening delayed.Read More
On World No Tobacco Day, Minister Zweli Mkhize is set to host a virtual meeting amid court action over continued tobacco sale ban.Read More
The minister's lawyer Tebogo Malatji reflects on the courts ruling on the so called Sars rogue unit report.Read More
The sale of tobacco will continue to be prohibited under lockdown Level 3.Read More
She says even though it has been a painful journey to get to where she is, she always served SA to the best of her ability.Read More
Eyewitness News reporter Kgomotso Modise gives details of EFF virtual press conference.Read More
Cardiologist Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos says clinical observations show very few smokers are hospitilised for the virus.Read More