Police are investigating the death of four men at Atlantic Plastic Recycling factory in Parow, Cape Town on Tuesday afternoon.
According to a police report, workers aged between 22 and 51 were cleaning an underground tank when they inhaled hazardous fumes. They died on the scene.
A fifth man has been taken to hospital for treatment.
EWN reporter Kevin Brandt says experts dealing with dangerous chemicals have been called in to ascertain the cause of death and to establish what type of chemical killed these workers.
Attempts to contact the owners of the factory have failed, says Brandt.
We were at work throughout the night to contact the owners of this facility and we will continue to do so during the course of today.— Kevin Brandt, Reporter - EWN
We will also be in contact with the authorities as far as the investigation of this incident is concerned.— Kevin Brandt, Reporter - EWN
To hear the rest of the conversation, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Four men die after inhaling hazardous fumes in Cape Town factory