Kids must not die of avoidable diseases, says Zweli Mkhize
The new Minister of Health Dr Zweli Mkhize visited the Mamelodi Hospital on Thursday.
The visit comes after Gauteng Health MEC Bandile Masuku went to the hospital following numerous complaints of ill-treatment of patients by medical staff.
The hospital came under the spotlight after 76-year-old Martha Marais was captured on camera being cuffed to a steel bench while forced to lie down on the floor at the hospital.
Speaking to Ray White, Eyewitness News reporter Thando Khubeka says the minister did a hospital walkabout.
The newly elected minister visited the hospital as part of the Child Protection Week. He said more needs to be done to decrease the number of deaths of children who die of avoidable diseases.Thando Khubeka, Reporter, Eyewitness News
He also says a lot needs to be done to improve the quality of health to vulnerable people, which included mothers and children.Thando Khubeka, Reporter, Eyewitness News
Commenting on the incident involving Marth Marais, Khubeka said the minister said he is pleased with the investigation progress so far.
He says no one has to go through what Martha Marais went through. He says he is pleased about what the health MEC in Gauteng has done so far to address the situation.Thando Khubeka, Reporter, Eyewitness News
Listen to the full interview below...
The social development minister says the department needs a system that is watertight.Read More
Teachers and school management are scheduled to return to work this week to prepare for the upcoming phased reopening of schools.Read More
Political analyst Prof Lesiba Teffo says he finds the whole saga immensely regrettable especially when the board enters the fray.Read More
Professor Francois Venter says they support professor Glenda Gray and government must wok on its communication skills.Read More
SAITA president Rosheda Muller says a continued ban of cigarettes until Level 1 will put informal traders on the street.Read More
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced in an address to the nation that SA will move down to Level 3 lockdown from 1 June.Read More
The Dept of Home Affairs has announced the categories which meet criteria for permission to leave the country.Read More
The President has delivered a lockdown update - listen to his explanation of the move to Level 3 from 1 June.Read More
A survey by teacher unions shows that 92% of SA's schools are not ready and safe to re-open says Natu's Cynthia Barnes.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said there were 10 new corona-virus related deaths, bringing the total to 407.Read More