money-show-thumbnailjpg money-show-thumbnailjpg

EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist explains why she wrote the piece on the EFF's trash and if it is journalistic or tabloid.

How far are you willing to go to get evidence for your story?

Daily Maverick journalist and columnist Marianne Thamm has come under fire for going through the trash to get evidence against the EFF leadership.

In her piece on Daily Maverick, Thamm allegedly exposes how the EFF rented a four-bedroom luxury Camps Bay villa priced at between R7,100 and R25,000 a night during the Sona period.

The trash also had French champagne brands Veuve Clicquot, Veuve Clicquot Rich, and Moët et Chandon.

I think that if you are a public official and particularly running on a ticket of economic redress and you are fighting for the poor and check into a guest house that cost you R60,000 for eight nights and that money goes straight into a foreign owner. I checked all this out and you put your trash out because you had a lekker party then you are fair game.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I was only able to load seven of the 14 bags into my car and I took them somewhere and I got witnesses with me and we unpacked them.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

We found items that link a member of the EFF to the house in Camps Bay. That is Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. The booking was made by the CIC bodyguard.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

I found lots of expensive alcohol, tobacco, leftover food, used and unused condoms.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

When probed why she never went through other politicians trash and if this was planned, Thamm says:

This didn't involve planning. I don't go around looking through trash. I am too busy.

Marianne Thamm, Journalist/ columnist - Daily Maverick

702 listener weighed in on the discussion.

I couldn't care less what Malema does in his private life.

Lungi, Caller

People should read the story and draw their own conclusion.

Brit, Caller

I don't understand why as a member of the EFF I should book myself in Camps Bay or Khayelitsha. There is no one in this day and age the EFF my justify why there were used condoms in the trash bag. This is cheap journalism.

Mpho, Caller

I read the article in the morning. As a voter and who voted for the EFF, I thought its a bit ridiculous. They could have gone to Khayelitsha. The condom issue I thought wow they are using protection.

Palesa, Caller

Listen to the full open line below...

3 July 2019 12:14 PM
EFF
Alcohol
Alcohol abuse
Camps Bay
Dr Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
moet

Recommended

151028Rain cold front cold temperature jpg

Cold front to bring heavy rain and snow to parts of South Africa

7 July 2020 5:34 PM

South African Weather Service forecaster Mbavhalelo Maliage has the details.

Water tap outside

WaterAid urges government to invest more in water and sanitation during COVID-19

7 July 2020 5:01 PM

The organisation is also calling on government to ensure municipalities do not cut off water supply to communities.

150130akijhb4.jpg

City of Joburg entities operate on contingency staff because of COVID-19

7 July 2020 4:40 PM

MMC for environment and infrastructure services Mpho Moerane says Joburg Water has reported a total of 82 positive cases.

Parents home with newborn baby childbirth 123rfparenting 123rflifestyle 123rf

Absence of positive and active men in a child's life puts them at risk

7 July 2020 4:34 PM

Latasha Slavin of Heartlines unpacks attitudes and beliefs that contribute to a lack of positive involvement by some fathers.

dog-pawjpg

Sad news for police dog unit again as 45 puppies die of canine parvovirus

7 July 2020 1:28 PM

This is the second time the virus has affected the South African Police Service (SAPS) K9 Academy in Roodeplaat, Pretoria.

aureliejpg

Help EWN’s Aurelie Kalenga continue to feed hundreds of families during COVID-19

7 July 2020 9:11 AM

People can make donations through Webtickets and send those voucher codes to AurelieK@ewn.co.za.

mec-masukujpg

UPDATE: 19,779 recoveries for Gauteng as national infections reach 205,721

7 July 2020 12:13 AM

There were 111 new COVID-19 deaths: 50 from Gauteng; 35 from the Western Cape; 17 from Limpopo and 9 from the Eastern Cape.

coronavirus covid-19 test 123rf 123rfcoronavirus 123rfcovid-19 123rflifestyle

Cipla plans to bring COVID-19 treatment remdesivir to SA at an affordable price

6 July 2020 5:18 PM

Joanne Joseph spoke to Cipla South Africa CEO Paul Miller to find out more.

130523sabc.jpg

'SABC must exhaust all other avenues to stabilise their finances'

6 July 2020 4:44 PM

The Save Our SABC Coalition says the public broadcaster must look at other measures before retrenching staff.

152385de-f96c-4922-b40b-18cca88469ec.jpg

Court grants private early childhood development centres green light to open

6 July 2020 4:03 PM

Solidarity union says a lack of communication from the Department of Social Development forced it to take this matter to court.