Eusebius McKaiser 702 Gradient Eusebius McKaiser 702 Gradient
The Eusebius McKaiser Show

Up Next: The Midday Report with Clement Manyathela
The Eusebius McKaiser Show

Politics

[LISTEN] 'There is a deep wounding associated with the Verwoerd name'

12 July 2019 12:27 PM
APARTHEID
Hendrik Verwoerd
Wilhelm Verwoerd
Eusebius McKaiser has an in-depth discussion with apartheid leader Hendrik Verwoerd's grandson, Wilhelm.

Apartheid regime leader Hendrik Verwoerd's grandson Wilhelm says he cannot denounce his biological or genealogical connection but has gone on to question what he can do to address the apartheid architect's legacy.

He sat down with Eusebius to talk about how he has grappled with his identity, as well his personal commitment to social justice.

The political philosopher recently launched his book Verwoerd: My journey through family betrayals, which he has said sets out to help the discourse of making white South Africans realise the injustices and effects of apartheid.

There is this thing about what I prefer to talk about - the blood on my hands that is linked to the blood in my veins. There is a stigma, there is a deep wounding associated with this name, this person and this period and with my own involvement in that system.

Wilhelm Verwoerd, Political philosopher and author

I was part of apartheid up into my early 20s I supported him. I am part of it, so I cannot distance myself from him and what he is responsible for.

Wilhelm Verwoerd, Political philosopher and author

I am getting that probably this book is published because of that name to a large degree, and I have to somehow find a way to say how do I do this with integrity.

Wilhelm Verwoerd, Political philosopher and author

It is quite problematic from a white point of view to actually get affirmation and acknowledgement from black South Africans for speaking out against apartheid, it really shouldn't be like that. It is a sign of our time that there are not enough people from my background speaking out, acknowledging and taking enough responsibility for restitution.

Wilhelm Verwoerd, Political philosopher and author

Wilhelm says it is tempting to say his grandfather was evil but does not want to demonise him entirely.

The more frightening conclusion is that relatively good people like me are able to be responsible for an evil system... people like me are also like him and we cannot demonise him in a sense that makes it easier for us to live with ourselves.

Wilhelm Verwoerd, Political philosopher and author

This kind of inclusive humanisation approach of people like Arch Bishop Tutu and many other people I have worked with has to find a place for him in his humanity while facing the evil that he is responsible for and the evil that his in him but also in me.

Wilhelm Verwoerd, Political philosopher and author

Click on the link below to hear the full interview...

12 July 2019 12:27 PM
APARTHEID
Hendrik Verwoerd
Wilhelm Verwoerd

More from Politics

Cyril Ramaphosa

'There has been some bizarre lockdown decisions, slow response on social relief'

25 May 2020 9:21 AM

Political analyst Lukhona Mnguni looks at the announcement of moving to Level 3 and the politics around the lockdown.

president-cyril-ramaphosa-24-maypng

Level 3 from 1 June: Exercise hours relaxed, alcohol ban lifted, but no ciggies

24 May 2020 8:17 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa announced in an address to the nation that SA will move down to Level 3 lockdown from 1 June.

200330-ramaphosa-edjpg

[WATCH] President Cyril Ramaphosa addresses an anxious nation

24 May 2020 5:00 PM

The President has delivered a lockdown update - listen to his explanation of the move to Level 3 from 1 June.

classroom covid-19 coronavirus mask school

Natu teachers 'not returning' to school on Monday: 'We can't gamble with lives'

24 May 2020 1:12 PM

A survey by teacher unions shows that 92% of SA's schools are not ready and safe to re-open says Natu's Cynthia Barnes.

Cyril Ramaphosa

President Ramaphosa to address the nation on Sunday

23 May 2020 9:13 PM

Presidency says he will tackle developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19.

police-altercation-with-woman-in-strandpng

Strand arrest: Probe underway after fresh incident of police heavy-handedness

23 May 2020 11:57 AM

A video shot in the Western Cape shows an officer dragging a mask-wearing woman to a police van, apparently during exercise hours.

Price money consumer groceries

'Stimulus package will benefit businesses that were doing well before COVID-19'

22 May 2020 8:52 AM

Economist Xhanti Payi bemoans how red tape impacts the informal economy.

agriculture-farming-tractor-black-farmerjpg

'If we want to keep SA food secure it is critical to keep Land Bank alive'

21 May 2020 7:38 AM

Agricultural economist Andrew Makenete and Scoa's Sfiso Buthelezi reflect on the bank's request of R22 billion from Treasury.

cyrilgif

Ramaphosa meets with church leaders and political parties to discuss COVID-19

20 May 2020 12:55 PM

Different political party leaders as well as a church leader reflect on the meeting held with the president.

empty-school-desk-chair-classroom-grade-learning-education-teaching-pupils-123rf

DBE adamant that it would be ready for pupils to return to school on 1 June

20 May 2020 8:09 AM

Naptosa president Basil Manuel and DBE director-general Mathanzima Mweli weigh in on the phased reopening of schools.