Streaming issues? Report here
CapeTalk Logo CapeTalk Logo
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: Early Breakfast with Africa Melane
See full line-up
Home
arrow_forward
Local

ConCourt dismisses Mkhwebane's appeal against Bankorp costs order

22 July 2019 10:17 AM
Tags:
Constitutional Court
South African Reserve Bank
Absa
bankorp
Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane
Bankorp bailout

The Constitutional Court has dismissed Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s appeal against a personal costs order.

JOHANNESBURG - The Constitutional Court has upheld the High Court order that Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane personally pay for 15% of the South African Reserve Bank’s legal fees in the Bankorp lifeboat matter.

In 2017, the Public Protector ordered the Special Investigating Unit to recover more than R1 billion on behalf of the central bank from Absa Bank but this report and its remedial action was reviewed and set aside last year.

In the scathing majority judgment, Justice Sisi Khampepe said that Mkhwebane’s conduct warranted the personal costs order against her.

"This court upholds the High Court's finding that the Public Protector acted in bad faith and agrees with the High Court that she exceeded the bounds of her potential indemnification under the Public Protector Act."

Khampepe said that Mkhwebane misled the court.

"The Public Protector put forward a number of falsehoods in the cause of litigation, including misrepresenting under oath before the High Court, that the economic analysis that underpinned the final report was based on expert economic advice, whereas this was false as the report was not based on expert economic advice."

The minority judgment, however, found in favour of the Public Protector and would have granted her the appeal.

Following the ruling, the Public Protector's office responded via social media, saying that it would study the judgment.


This article first appeared on EWN : ConCourt dismisses Mkhwebane's appeal against Bankorp costs order


22 July 2019 10:17 AM
Tags:
Constitutional Court
South African Reserve Bank
Absa
bankorp
Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane
Bankorp bailout

Recommended

More from Local

Fever temperature screening Covid-19 123rf

UPDATE: 12,957 recoveries for Gauteng as SA records 8,728 new infections

2 July 2020 11:13 PM

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Thursday that the number of national recoveries so far is 81,999.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

shackjpg

[LISTEN] Appeal for contributions to help build a new home for Limpopo family

2 July 2020 5:42 PM

The family members are reported to be living in a broken-down shack in the village of Maelula and sleeping on a cold floor.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

200702-david-makhura-edjpg

Gauteng healthcare system starting to feel the pinch - report

2 July 2020 4:40 PM

Eyewitness News reporter Kgomotso Modise has the details on the provincial command council COVID-19 update.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

bulelanijpg

SAHRC to take City of Cape Town to court after man forcefully dragged from shack

2 July 2020 4:10 PM

In a video shared widely, law enforcement officers were seen dragging a naked Bulelani Qholani from his home.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

empty-school-desk-chair-classroom-grade-learning-education-teaching-pupils-123rf

Only grades R, 6 and 11 to return to school on Monday - Basic Education Dept

2 July 2020 3:39 PM

The department said that the decision followed lengthy consultations with the Council of Education Ministers.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

empolwenijpg

'Empolweni and Ethembeni residents have been constantly victimised'

2 July 2020 2:25 PM

Social justice organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi is calling for further action after a man was forcefully removed from his dwelling.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

David Makhura

WATCH LIVE: Gauteng command council gives update on COVID-19

2 July 2020 12:08 PM

Premier David Makhura and his team are expected to give details on the province's readiness as the country gears up for the coronavirus infections peak.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

screen-shot-2020-07-02-at-113528-ampng

702's Clive Moagi shares remedies that worked for him in his COVID-19 recovery

2 July 2020 11:48 AM

Aubrey Masango chats to colleague and 702 Breakfast Show producer who has recovered from the virus.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

sanef-logo-2017-slider-770xjpg

Sanef launches relief fund for journalists who’ve lost income due to COVID-19

2 July 2020 11:18 AM

Only freelance, contract or permanently employed journalists who have been retrenched or had their contracts cancelled since the implementation of the national lockdown will be eligible to apply.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

empolwenigif

COCT suspends 4 law enforcement officers over forceful eviction of naked man

2 July 2020 9:09 AM

The video shows law enforcement officials evict a naked man from his Empolweni home in Khayelitsha.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward