'He had no regard for the fact I was 12 years old,' Hewitt survivor speaks out
One of the victims of former pro tennis player Bob Hewitt has described her "shock, disbelief and anger" at learning her abuser had been due to be released on parole later this month.
Following public outcry, officials halted 79-year-old Hewitt's early release, but Olivia Jasriel says plans to grant parole were initially denied by Correctional Services.
They should have contacted us and invited us to attend a parole hearing - this wasn't done and hasn't happened.Olivia Jasriel
I'm actually quite traumatised.Olivia Jasriel
In 2015 Hewitt was jailed for six years for raping two girls and sexually assaulting a third in the 1980s and 1990s.
Jasriel says the fact the Hewitt is nearly 80 should not be a factor in his possible early release.
He had no regard for the fact I was 12 years old, so I don't care that he's 80.Olivia Jasriel
She says she fears for other victims of sexual abuse who may not have the resources she has to investigate whether the parole procedure has been correctly followed.
They may be walking in a shopping mall one day and they walk past their perpetrator in a shop. I cannot even comprehend how that would affect me.Olivia Jasriel
They get these Micky Mouse sentences and a person like me sits with life-long issues and a life-long prison sentence.Olivia Jasriel
Jasriel says she is hoping she will be given the opportunity to testify at any future parole hearing.
Listen to the full interview below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : 'He had no regard for the fact I was 12 years old,' Hewitt survivor speaks out
The cumulative number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa is 29,240 and the recoveries to date are 14,370.Read More
Fedsas CEOPaul Colditz says every school should receive children and educators back under conducive conditions.Read More
While the on-air campaign has come to an end, the initiative to save small businesses affected by the lockdown will continue.Read More
Deputy dean of education Veronica Mckay says they have expanded their systems and students were able to write their exams today.Read More
Investigative journalist Kyle Cowan gives a break down of the statistics and the backlog in South Africa's testing.Read More
Rathupetsane says he provided groceries for 40 families in Alexandra and 40 families in Tzaneen, Limpopo.Read More
Chief operating officer Johan Wegner says the flood of orders coming in were worse than Black Friday.Read More
Eusebius McKaiser speaks to various religious leaders about their decision not to reopen their places of worship on Level 3.Read More
UCT vice-chancellor, Professor Mamokgethi Phakeng describes this generation as those who are pushing boundaries.Read More
The Windybrow Arts Theatre is set to host an online discussion on the matter.Read More