Prasa war room yields some progress a few months after its establishment
Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) group chief strategy officer Sipho Sithole says the agency is far from its goal to provide a 'dignified' and quality service to its passengers despite increasing the arrival times of commuter trains by 15%.
The on-time performance for passenger trains has improved from 55% to 63%.
Transport minister Fikile Mbalula launched the war room in August as means to deliver a safe and reliable service.
We are far from where we want to be. Our target is to be 85% by end of December and we are now around 63% which is quite an improvement from where we were on 12 August.Sipho Sithole, Group chief strategy officer - Prasa
Vandalism continues to be a problem. Sithole there are plans in process to address this.
Vandalism is at the core of the work we are doing here in the war room because it has to do with the open nature of our rail network. Our rail network is not protected, there is no effective fencing that will make it impossible for anyone to just get in and out of the network.Sipho Sithole, Group chief strategy officer - Prasa
One of the biggest programmes we are running now is what we call the corridor protection and security technology related rollout across all our corridors.Sipho Sithole, Group chief strategy officer - Prasa
We are looking at having concrete slab of 4m high along all our corridors, having security detection and movement and cameras across the corridors and those are multi-billion investments.Sipho Sithole, Group chief strategy officer - Prasa
Click on the link below to hear more from Sithole...
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More