Fees Must Fall's Cekeshe 'very disheartened until Ngcukaitobi took on case'
Following Fees Must Fall protests, activist Kanya Cekeshe was sentenced to eight years in jail in 2017, with three years were suspended for malicious damage to property after he was found guilty of setting alight a police vehicle.
In the Johannesburg High Court, convicted Cekeshe is due to find out whether he will be granted leave to appeal his conviction.
Activist and student leader Busisiwe Seabe talks to Clement Manyathela on The Xolani Gwala Show.
I am very nervous because we have been calling for the release of our comrade and brother for two years.Busisiwe Seabe, Activist and student leader - Fees Must Fall
She says she hopes justice will prevail.
We don't support criminality...but Kanya's case is not one of criminality, he was found guilty because he was ill-advised by his legal advisers.Busisiwe Seabe, Activist and student leader - Fees Must Fall
She says he believes that on poor advice from his then law, he agreed to plead guilty.
It is essential that the Rule of Law is followed, she says.
Seabe says since Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi took on Cekeshe's case, the activist is more hopeful of a good outcome.
He was very disheartened until Advocate Ngcukaitobi took on his case.Busisiwe Seabe, Activist and student leader - Fees Must Fall
Ngcukaitobi said during the trial, the prosecution failed to produce video evidence and on the still images,
We do believe he is on the right side of the law this time.Busisiwe Seabe, Activist and student leader - Fees Must Fall
Listen to the interview below:
In his "From The Desk of the President" column, Cyril Ramaphosa unpacks a number of commitments made under Generation Equality.Read More
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More