702 logo Gradients 702 logo Gradients

22 October 2019 3:37 PM
Cancer
Cancer survivor
Breast cancer
chemotherapy
Helena Vivier
Breast cancer survivor Helena Vivier says cancer is diagnosis which requires people to be brave. She shares her inspiring story.

Capetonian Helena Vivier has survived her life-changing battle with breast cancer and has come out stronger.

She's now spreading her message of courage and determination with others who need it.

RELATED: I fought breast cancer while pregnant with twins: This is Jade Wyngaardt's story

Vivier lost both her parents to cancer. Her father passed away when she was seven and her mother on the eve of her 22nd birthday.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer on 15 December 2015 - a day she'll never forget - after just celebrating her big 40th.

Our family is no stranger to cancer... We all wondered who it would be, I'm glad it was me and not my siblings.

Helena Vivier

Her boyfriend at the time, who has since become her husband, had felt a lump in her breast.

Vivier immediately met with top breast cancer surgeon Dr Jenny Edge for her double mastectomy and to also remove a mass in her ovary.

It was not just the double mastectomy that I had to have, but I had to have an ovary removed.

Helena Vivier

After her double mastectomy, she endured a whole year of chemotherapy treatment, horrible sickness and hair loss.

She says her family and the hospital staff at Vincent Pallotti became a strong source of emotional support.

Her main motivation through it all was her young daughter.

Vivier advises that cancer is as much a mental battle as it is a physical one. She describes how she overcame it all.

The journey itself has been an eye-opener. I call it a love story between myself and life.

Helena Vivier

It's been an educational journey of understanding myself and what matters.

Helena Vivier

For me, it was about surviving for my daughter... What was she going to do without mom? I couldn't even think about it. There was no other option but to fight this thing.

Helena Vivier

Be brave... It's not the end, it's just a bend. That's my saying.

Helena Vivier

Listen to the full discussion On The Yellow Couch with Pippa Hudson:

This article first appeared on CapeTalk : I fought breast cancer so I could survive for my daughter: Helena Vivier's story

22 October 2019 3:37 PM
Cancer
Cancer survivor
Breast cancer
chemotherapy
Helena Vivier

More from Lifestyle

drive-in-theaterjpg

ParkUpp hopes to launch drive-in cinemas in SA once it gets the green light

27 May 2020 6:24 PM

ParkUpp co-founder Michael Savvides says exact locations will only be specified once the lockdown regulations allow for it.

child-daughter-mom-mother-divorce-childhood-trauma-psychologist-parents-123rf

COVID-19 and its impact: Why you should engage your children on their anxieties

26 May 2020 2:41 PM

Azania Mosaka speaks to clinical psychologist Viwe Dweba about this.

mask-Covid-19-woman-driver-driving-car-coronavirus-commuting-sanitiser-123rf

Sanitisers can cause allergic reaction to your skin

25 May 2020 6:23 PM

Dermatologist Nomphelo Gantsho says soaps are much more effective than hand sanitisers.

thandiswa-mazwaijpg

Celebrating Africa Day with Thandiswa Mazwai

25 May 2020 4:29 PM

The icon says now is actually an important time for music because it can travel much further than any language can.

Emotions emoticons emojis sad happy angry scared

[LISTEN] Can optimism be learned?

25 May 2020 12:21 PM

Eusebius McKaiser speaks to clinical psychologist Khosi Jiyane for more on this.

Man at check-in counter at airport with passport travel 123rflifestyle 123rf

'Essential travel' approved for South Africans who need to return abroad

24 May 2020 5:01 PM

The Dept of Home Affairs has announced the categories which meet criteria for permission to leave the country.

nosipho-dumisajpg

Nosipho Dumisa on the success of African Original series 'Blood and Water'

24 May 2020 3:32 PM

The writer and director says authenticity is a vital ingredient of the local series which is making waves around the world.

police-minister-bheki-celepng

[VIDEO] Where did you get the cigarette? ZOL creator's new beat stars Bheki Cele

24 May 2020 10:56 AM

Max Hurrell made international headlines putting NDZ to music. Now it's the police minister's turn.

richardjpg

The playlist of the special Africa Day Edition of “This is Africa”

23 May 2020 8:44 PM

This weekend’s song list for Richard Nwamba's “This is Africa” show celebrating Africa Month.

parents-grocery-shopping-with-childrenwebp

No better time than now to teach your children about generosity and gratitude

23 May 2020 1:58 PM

Parenting expert Nikki Bush discusses simple ways to help your kids think of others in need and inculcate a value system.