Clement Mnayathela 1500 x 1500 2020 Clement Mnayathela 1500 x 1500 2020

fiber_manual_record

READ: Mmusi Maimane’s resignation address

23 October 2019 6:03 PM
Democratic Alliance
Mmusi Maimane
DA

Mmusi Maimane resigned as the leader of the Democratic Alliance (DA) on Wednesday.

My fellow South Africans,

When I was elected as leader of the Democratic Alliance (DA) in May 2015, just over four years ago, I set out to build a strong, diverse, and authentically South African organisation that could remove the ANC from national government and in turn, work hard in government to free the majority of South Africans from the shackles of poverty, indignity and despair.

It was first and foremost my love for this country and a deeply held conviction for justice that led me into the space of politics.

I am not a career politician, and I have never sought to be. I have always only been driven by a vision to build a united, prosperous and reconciled South Africa where all citizens have a fair shot in life and where the colour of your skin does not determine your future prospects.

In order to do so, it was crucial that the DA evolved and transformed into a party that all South Africans could call home. A truly South African party at the centre of our politics. During my tenure as DA leader, I relentlessly sought to grow the party amongst all South Africans - but specifically black South Africans.

I fundamentally believed that if the DA was to become a party of government, it needed to look and feel like a party for all, not some. It needed to belong to all South Africans.

It is no secret that for decades the DA has been seen as a party for minorities only. The majority of South Africans, mainly black South Africans, did not relate to the DA and by extension struggle to trust the DA.

This was not the fault of any one person, rather a consequence of the historic journey of DA and its predecessor parties. However, this needed to change and it required deliberate action.

We began to campaign in black communities to spearhead growth, and I personally led this charge.

We changed the internal focus of the party towards grassroots activism and engaged communities and established branches in new terrain.

Activists were inspired and came on board, and felt a sense of ownership and momentum.

In 2016, we together made history as the DA removed the ANC from government in the country’s largest cities. We formed governments in Johannesburg, Tshwane and Nelson Mandela Bay, and worked hard to turn these cities around and restore the dignity of poor, unemployed South Africans through an intense focus on job creation and service delivery.

This was a watershed moment for the party and the country. We more than doubled our governance footprint, from 6.5 million to almost 16 million South Africans living under DA-led governments.

Forming these DA-led governments was crucial to our project and a vital step towards building trust with South Africans who were by and large sceptical of the DA. I maintain it was the correct decision to form these governments.

I want to thank all those who worked hard to bring about change in those cities, despite complex and intricate coalition arrangements.

Since its formation, the DA has been seen as a regional party, with its political powerbase and administrative and organisational headquarters situated in Cape Town. I argued that this also needed to change.

If the DA was to challenge for power, it needed to continue to grow outside the Western Cape and establish a political, organisational and administrative footprint in the country’s economic hub. That is why today we are here at Nkululeko House, the party’s head office in Johannesburg.

During the party’s 2018 Federal Congress, I sponsored the “Diversity Clause”, which cemented diversity as one of the DA’s core values. This was an important step in leading the organisation towards more inclusivity, demonstrating that the DA will never be a party for one race or one language group.

We took active steps to remove the obstacles to greater diversity, and to expand opportunities, particularly for young black candidates and activists within the party. In doing so, we were always clear: the emancipation of black people is not the enslavement of white people. It not an either/or.

In internal elections and our list process, I advocated for more black South Africans, more women, and for greater language and cultural diversity. This was not picking one race or gender over another. Rather, it was aiding the journey towards a truly diverse party.

Make no mistake, along the journey there have been many difficulties. I fought battles with Helen Zille, especially regarding her comments – and the impact of her comments – as it pertained to colonialism.

These sentiments did not help build trust between black and white South Africans, and they undermined the project the party was engaged in.

Building trust and changing an organisation takes time. Yet despite these challenges along the way, we were making great progress.

However, over the past months, it has become quite clear to me that there exists a grouping within the DA who do not see eye to eye with me, and do not share this vision for the party and the direction it was taking.

There has been for several months a consistent and coordinated attempt to undermine my leadership and ensure that either this project failed, or I failed.

This extended to the smear campaign that was run on the front pages of an Afrikaans weekly paper in an attempt to destroy my name and my integrity.

This cowardly behaviour has put my wife and two young children in great danger as pictures of our home were published in the media.

Fellow South Africans,

At the end of the day, the DA has always been but a vehicle to pursue and further the vision. And I am still wholeheartedly committed to this vision.

To inspire hope among South Africans

To seek justice for the wrongs of our past

To restore the dignity of millions

To heal our nation

To break down the barriers of entry into the economy

To create work and meaningful opportunity for all young people

To remove the ANC from government

And ultimately to build one united, prosperous and reconciled South Africa for all.

There comes a time when leaders must step back from all the noise and conjecture, and make a sober and honest assessment as to what the future holds.

I have spent the past few days doing just that alongside my wife.

And in the end we have come to the conclusion that despite my best efforts, the DA is not the vehicle best suited to take forward the vision of building One South Africa for All.

It is with great sadness that in order to continue the fight for this vision I so strongly believe in, and the country I so dearly love, I today tender my resignation as leader of the Democratic Alliance.

I will continue in the role as parliamentary leader until the end of the year, after which the party will go to Congress to elect new leadership.

I wish to thank each and every DA member, activist, public representative and staff member of the DA for giving your all and working tirelessly each and every day.

In particular, I’d like to thank every provincial leader I have worked over the past four years. Thank you for your support and

I’d also like to thank James Selfe as he served selflessly as Federal Council Chair.

Lastly, I’d like to thank my friend Athol Trollip who is here with me today.

I wish the DA all the success in the future under the guidance of Helen Zille as the new Federal Council Chairperson.

In closing, I’d like to assure the people of South Africa that this is not the end of the journey, it’s only the beginning.

The pursuit of building One South Africa for All is much bigger than any individual or political party.

And it’s a vision for South Africa that I will continue pursuing for as long as I have air in my lungs.

The fight must go on.

I thank you.

This article first appeared on EWN : READ: Mmusi Maimane’s resignation address

23 October 2019 6:03 PM
Democratic Alliance
Mmusi Maimane
DA

More from Politics

South African Airways SAA 123rf 123rfbusiness

SAA bailout in the balance? BRPs put airline operations on hold

29 September 2020 7:49 PM

SAA's business rescue practitioners decide to suspend airline operations. Bruce Whitfield gets comment from the experts.

9baae9ab-c2ed-4d4c-bd5c-844a058f571d.jpg

How did economy shed 2.2m jobs in Q2, but unemployment rate still fell sharply?

29 September 2020 6:46 PM

'It's an abnormal report in abnormal times'. Paul Berkowitz (CEO, Hlaziya Solutions) makes sense of Stats SA unemployment figures.

Nomvula Mokonyane

300 days of Zondo: 'We’ve learned it’s cheap to bribe a politician'

28 September 2020 6:25 PM

For 300 days, punch-drunk South Africans have been learning just how bad corruption is in the country, says Ferial Haffajee.

Nthimotse Mokhesi

Two companies walked away with R220-million 'for doing absolutely nothing'

28 September 2020 5:47 PM

Ray White speaks to EWN Senior reporter Nthakoana Ngatane about the Free State asbestos removal project

Former President Jacob Zuma at the state capture commission on 17 July 2019

There are no grounds for Zondo to recuse himself from inquiry - law expert

28 September 2020 5:34 PM

Ray Whites asks Lawson Naidoo if the former president Jacob Zuma has a case against the Zondo Commission.

Sorry we closed small business 123rfbusiness 123rf

'Foreigners create work for South Africans,' says immigration lawyer

28 September 2020 1:28 PM

Lester Kiewit finds out from Stefanie de Saude-Darbandi what the proposed new law means for foreign business Gauteng townships.

Gavel court case corruption - 123rf

Human trafficking suspects to appear in court after 11 women rescued

28 September 2020 1:03 PM

Hawks spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi says the rescued women came from different countries in the SADC region.

Nosiviwe

DA calls Ramaphosa's reprimand of Mapisa-Nqakula weak, calls for her to be fired

28 September 2020 7:24 AM

Shadow defence minister Kobus Marais says this shows that the president can't apply punitive action against senior officials.

Covid-19 testing statistics modelling 123rf

UPDATE: SA COVID-19 recovery rate reaches 90%

27 September 2020 9:21 PM

There were 15,028 new tests conducted and 22 new coronavirus-related deaths. New infections were 1.268.

factory-production-manufacturejpg

SA economy: 'Manufacturing remains an engine of growth and must be prioritised'

23 September 2020 6:53 PM

The sector is at a tipping point. Arabile Gumede interviews Philippa Rodseth from industry body, the Manufacturing Circle.

Missing Image Placeholder

It is pathetic that people stole during COVID-19 pandemic - Dr Judy Dlamini

30 September 2020 8:03 AM

Mbekani Group founder and businesswoman reflect on the pandemic and how people can become job creators during these times.

bmw-adpng

Will BMW need to pay up for 'appropriating' local muso's song for Gusheshe ad?

29 September 2020 8:42 PM

BMW's Heritage Month campaign features a Kwesta hit which samples another band's music. Advertising expert Andy Rice weighs in.

Road Traffic

High court to hear application to have Aarto Act declared unconstitutional

29 September 2020 4:54 PM

The executive director of Outa’s accountability division, Stefanie Fick, says the Auto Amendment Act has not worked in 10 years.

eskomdiepsloot_1560

Eskom officials will return to sell cables back to Diepsloot residents - report

29 September 2020 4:38 PM

John Perlman gets answers and reactions to Eskoms disconnection of illegal connections

parlygif

ANC summons MPs back to Parliament

29 September 2020 4:00 PM

Members of Parliament will have to give ANC chief whip Pemmy Majodina doctors' certificates by no later than Thursday.

Richard mdluli

Freedom Under Law welcomes sentence for former crime intelligence boss Mdluli

29 September 2020 2:22 PM

Ricahrd Mdluli will serve five years for the murder of Oupa Ramogibe, who allegedly had an affair with his wife in 1998.

presenters-articlejpg

702 has tweaked its offering - and this is what you have to look forward to!

29 September 2020 1:57 PM

702 Presenters share their excitement for the new look and positioning by revealing show features they are introducing.

Rapid  test for antibody detection Covid-19 coronavirus antibody test 123rf

'The coronavirus has not gone away in Gauteng or nationally,' says Wits expert

29 September 2020 1:41 PM

Mandy Wiener asks Prof Shabir Madhi about COVID-19 cases following the move to lockdown level one and relaxed restrictions.

deaf-deafness-hearing-123rf

A lot of people within deaf community struggle 'because nobody understands them'

29 September 2020 12:30 PM

Sign language board spokesperson Ntombenhle Huluhulu says there is a very slow-moving will to make the language official.

Former President Jacob Zuma at the state capture commission on 17 July 2019

'Why did Zuma not raise problem with Zondo at the beginning of the inquiry?'

29 September 2020 11:56 AM

Journalist Karyn Maughan says former president's demand that Deputy Chief Justice Raymond recuse himself does not come as a shock.