Almost 300 unidentified bodies in Western Cape mortuaries during 2019
Over 495 unidentified bodies are currently in mortuary freezers across the Western Cape.
Department of Health provincial spokesperson Mark van der Heever says according to the law a body may be kept for a maximum of 30 days.
It is the duty of the police to track the family of the deceased and inform them where the body is being kept.
We have almost 300 bodies admitted this year alone that are unidentified.Mark van der Heever, Spokesperson - Provincial Department of Health
A lot of family members do not report people missing, they do not approach our facilities to enquire of somebody matching a particular description has been admitted.Mark van der Heever, Spokesperson - Provincial Department of Health
Van der Heever says hundreds of boxes of ashes are left at the Salt River facility, with some dating back to 2012.
We've got more than 600 boxes of ashes but fortunately, those boxes do not take up a lot of space. We keep it there in case a family member approaches us and we are able to locate it.Mark van der Heever, Spokesperson - Provincial Department of Health
We also have body parts and skeletons or even just a bone in some of our facilities that have been retained for specific things like forensics by SAPS.Mark van der Heever, Spokesperson - Provincial Department of Health
Listen to the full interview below...
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Almost 300 unidentified bodies in Western Cape mortuaries during 2019
Amcu general secretary David Sipunzi says the number could be higher because results were still coming.Read More
Eyewitness News reporter Babalo Ndenze has the full report.Read More
Business Insider Inc associate editor Phillip de Wet offers more on the regulation.Read More
He is expected to provide an update on the provisions for the religious sector following a meeting with the command council.Read More
The Daily Maverick has reported how the erratic supply of water has persisted after Makhanda East was without water for a week.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Monday the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa was 23,615.Read More
The author and popular host of Newzroom Afrika's "Your View" took to Twitter to make the announcement at the weekend.Read More
702 and Dineplan are giving you a chance to keep your favourite local spots open after the lockdown. Find out how.Read More
The 23-day-old baby passed away following open heart surgery last week.Read More
Azania speaks to colleague and 702 Breakfast Show producer Clive Moagi who recently contracted COVID-19, along with is parents.Read More