Finding that Zille colonialism tweets were incitement to violence 'far-fetched'
On Tuesday, the Pretoria High Court dismissed with costs the application by former Western Cape Premier Helen Zille to have Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane's report on her controversial colonialism tweets reviewed and set aside.
Mkhwebane found that the 2018 tweets, where Zille claimed that the legacy of colonialism is not all bad, was in violation of the executive code of ethics.
John Maytham gets the input of Professor Pierre de Vos, the Claude Leon Foundation chair in Constitutional Governance at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
De Vos agrees that the recent court judgments in hate speech cases can lead to confusion among the general public.
That is why we're waiting for the Constitutional Court, who have heard the arguments in the case. It will be the first case where they will give an authoritative interpretation of the provisions that regulate hate speech, which is the promotion of equality and the prevention of unfair discrimination.Prof. Pierre de Vos, Claude Leon Foundation chair in Constitutional Governance - UCT
He points out that the Public Protector has wrongly said that hate speech is protected by the Constitution.
The Constitution doesn't regulate or prohibit any speech, it just says some speech is not protected so if you make a law to limit the speech that is not protected, it is not going to be unconstitutional.Prof. Pierre de Vos, Claude Leon Foundation chair in Constitutional Governance - UCT
The constitutional law expert says he's not sure Zille's tweets constitute hate speech given their context, but has no doubt that they were not an incitement to violence.
What it clearly isn't, is what the Public Protector found - that it was an incitement to violence. That is clearly a bit far-fetched.Prof. Pierre de Vos, Claude Leon Foundation chair in Constitutional Governance - UCT
For more on this complicated issue, take a listen:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Finding that Zille colonialism tweets were incitement to violence 'far-fetched'
Amcu general secretary David Sipunzi says the number could be higher because results were still coming.Read More
Eyewitness News reporter Babalo Ndenze has the full report.Read More
Business Insider Inc associate editor Phillip de Wet offers more on the regulation.Read More
He is expected to provide an update on the provisions for the religious sector following a meeting with the command council.Read More
The Daily Maverick has reported how the erratic supply of water has persisted after Makhanda East was without water for a week.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Monday the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa was 23,615.Read More
The author and popular host of Newzroom Afrika's "Your View" took to Twitter to make the announcement at the weekend.Read More
702 and Dineplan are giving you a chance to keep your favourite local spots open after the lockdown. Find out how.Read More
The 23-day-old baby passed away following open heart surgery last week.Read More
Azania speaks to colleague and 702 Breakfast Show producer Clive Moagi who recently contracted COVID-19, along with is parents.Read More
Ntuli's campaign spokesperson Sam Mgobozi has confirmed that she has written to the party's public representatives.Read More
EWN parliamentary correspondent Babalo Ndenze gives an update of the briefing by Cogta Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula gives the state of readiness of his department as the country moves to lockdown Level 3.Read More
Spokesperson Kabelo Mahlobogwane says they wont allow the minister to use pupils and teachers to test the strength of COVID-19.Read More
Political analyst Lukhona Mnguni looks at the announcement of moving to Level 3 and the politics around the lockdown.Read More
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced in an address to the nation that SA will move down to Level 3 lockdown from 1 June.Read More
The President has delivered a lockdown update - listen to his explanation of the move to Level 3 from 1 June.Read More
A survey by teacher unions shows that 92% of SA's schools are not ready and safe to re-open says Natu's Cynthia Barnes.Read More
Presidency says he will tackle developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19.Read More
A video shot in the Western Cape shows an officer dragging a mask-wearing woman to a police van, apparently during exercise hours.Read More