Billions paid out to students in error, admits NSFAS
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme says it will be able to fund students for the 2020 academic year despite incurring R7 billions in irregular expenditure.
NSFAS administrator Dr Randall Carolissen told Parliament this week that incorrect payments to students had increased by more than 300% between 2017 and this year.
Speaking to Refilwe Moloto, Dr Carolissen says this will not impact on their ability to fund students.
In our investigations, we found that R7 billion was accounted for irregular expenditure and we are determining how much of that can be recovered.Dr Randall Carolissen, Administrator - NSFAS
The recoverability of that R7 billion we estimate it to be R1 billion and we have begun to recover. So far we have recovered R350,000 million from universities.Dr Randall Carolissen, Administrator - NSFAS
Getting money back from people who are not yet working is a challenge, Dr Carolissen adds.
The R1 billion is where we think we are going to have a tough time getting it back.Dr Randall Carolissen, Administrator - NSFAS
A large part of that money was paid out to students in error as their allowance.Dr Randall Carolissen, Administrator - NSFAS
Carolissen admits that staff members accessed the system off-site and authorised payments. He says security has been tightened up.
Listen to the full interview:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Billions paid out to students in error, admits NSFAS
Cumulative number of confirmed COVID-19 cases is 30,967. There were 32 new coronavirus-related deaths, bringing the total to 643.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula outlined the relaxation of transport regulations under Level 3 of the national lockdown during a media briefing on Saturday.Read More
Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced that R200m is now available to help artists and athletes after a financial boost from MECs.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula held a briefing on rules for the transport sector from 1 June.Read More
Professional rugby and soccer teams can resume training under Level 3, says Sport Minister Nathi Mthethwa.Read More
An Ipsos poll found that under-exercising, insomnia and depression have also been problems for South Africans under lockdown.Read More
Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa has updated the nation on the resumption of non-contact sport.Read More
Fedsas CEOPaul Colditz says every school should receive children and educators back under conducive conditions.Read More
While the on-air campaign has come to an end, the initiative to save small businesses affected by the lockdown will continue.Read More
The minister's lawyer Tebogo Malatji reflects on the courts ruling on the so called Sars rogue unit report.Read More
The sale of tobacco will continue to be prohibited under lockdown Level 3.Read More
She says even though it has been a painful journey to get to where she is, she always served SA to the best of her ability.Read More
Eyewitness News reporter Kgomotso Modise gives details of EFF virtual press conference.Read More
Cardiologist Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos says clinical observations show very few smokers are hospitilised for the virus.Read More
CEO Wayne Duvenage reflects on Judge Ronel Tolmay ruling against the former SAA chairperson.Read More
Journalist Aisha Abdool Karim says the Cuban medical school curriculum is in line with the South African programme.Read More
Restaurant Association Of South Africa CEO Wendy Alberts says her industry can't continue to operate under restrictive conditions.Read More
Eusebius McKaiser and historian Dr Vashna Jagarnath shine the spotlight on the origins of African unity.Read More
Police national spokesperson Brigadier Vish Naidoo they will deal directly with matters where police committed a crime.Read More