1) Pin your race number securely to the front of your handlebars with cables ties. Don't forget to clip your RaceTec chip to your bike on the front wheel. Another option would be to use a velcro strap to attach it to your left ankle.
2) The new home of Discovery 947 Ride Joburg MTB Ride is Steyn City. The only way to access the venue is through Cedar Road gatehouse. The William Nicol gatehouse will be closed to the public (it forms part of the 25km route as well). When you enter the Cedar Road gatehouse you will be directed to the parking areas by the event marshals. Download these final instructions which can help you navigate your arrival.
3) Keeping hydrated during the day is very important. We suggest you freeze your water bottle overnight. Plan your race around water - there will be one water point on the 25km route at approximately 12km into the race. The 55km will have 3 water points on the route. They will be located at approxiately 16.5km, 37km, and at 47km. The water points will be fully stocked with ice-cold Coca-Cola, Powerade and water. There will be a final water point for both distances at the finish line. Racefood will also be supplied as well as Nutriseed snacks and bananas.
4) There is no littering on allowed on ANY of the routes. If you are able to carry an energy bar, gel or drink on you during the ride, you are also able to carry your empty wrappers, packets and bottles back home with you. There are dustbins at all water points as well as at the finish area. Leave nothing but your tracks on the route.
5) Be courteous on the route. Politely ask them to allow you to pass if you are attempting to pass them. Carefully pass slower riders. If you need to dismount to push your bike, keep to the left to allow faster riders to pass on the right.
The trails in Steyn City will form part of the 25km route for the first time ever. It is filled with single track, jeep track, and other interesting urban obstacles to keep riders guessing.
The 55km route, is for the more technically advanced mountain bikers, and it will provide an exhilarating challenge that features hand-cut single track, purpose-built bridges and water crossings.
It should be warm day out on the tracks and we urge all our mountain bikers to put on sunscreen, keep drinking water but most of all, to have fun.
To see how the youngies are loving cycling, check out our photo album from the Discovery 947 Ride Joburg Kids Ride.