Refugees in Cape Town meet with officials to discuss their options
Hundreds of refugees currently staying at the Central Methodist Church in Cape Town have been in talks with various officials on a way forward.
The refugees were forcibly removed from a sit-in at the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) last month after demanding to leave South Africa.
The refugees and asylum-seekers have met with officials from Home Affairs, the Social Development Department, the UNHCR, the SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) and several civil society groups.
The UN Refugee Agency had previously urged foreigners in Cape Town to return to their homes in South Africa.
Western Cape SAHRC commissioner Chris Nissen says they've been engaged in "dialogues" discussing the challenges facing foreign nationals, refugees, and asylum-seekers in the country.
We've had a number of dialogues with civil society and NGOs and other refugee and asylum-seeker forums.Chris Nissen, Western Cape commissioner - SAHRC
The three options available for the foreign nationals are resettlement to another host country, reparation to their home countries or reintegration into South African society.
Nissen says it's been explained to the group that the UNHCR's resettlement programme only assesses individual cases on a very limited basis.
Many of them maintain that they would prefer to leave South Africa.
The discussions went to and fro around that and in the end, some of them said that they want to leave.Chris Nissen, Western Cape commissioner at SAHRC
Last week, the group of refugees rejected humanitarian aid from the Gift of the Givers after the organisation's director said their demand to be relocated to another country en masse was “unrealistic”.
Gift of the Givers had been providing daily meals, medical assistance and hygiene products to refugees.
Nissen says various government and civil organisations will continue engagements with the group.
Listen to the update with CapeTalk's Melanie Rice:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Refugees in Cape Town meet with officials to discuss their options
There were 12,349 new infections. The total number of deaths is 3,860.Read More
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi shared an update on the impact of the outbreak on his department on Friday.Read More
The rapper urged South Africans to adhere to social distancing guidelines and to wear their masks.Read More
Good Things Guy founder Brent Lindeque says people tend not to focus on the number of COVID-19 recoveries that keeps going up.Read More
Social innovator Mbali N has created a tool designed to help people unlearn prejudiced thinking by unpacking harmful stereotypes.Read More
More generating units have broken down, resulting in the utility battling to meet the high demand for electricity.Read More
Communities are being advised to be extra cautious to help the already overburdened health system.Read More
In a statement, the premier said that he had received his test results on Friday and that he was positive.Read More
Professor Salim Abdool Karim says its likely virus might be airborne, but there isn't enough information on that matter.Read More
Grades R, 6, 7, 11 and 12 have so far returned to the classroom as part of the Basic Education Department's phased reopening.Read More