702 logo Gradients 702 logo Gradients

Emotional 702 caller shares suicidal thoughts on air

14 November 2019 11:00 AM
Suicide
Employment
depression South Africa
#Depression

Eusebius McKaiser extended a helping hand to the caller and other listeners offered to help him go for counselling.

TRIGGER WARNING: The following interview may be triggering.

A 702 listener called in during the open line and expressed how he was suicidal and had nothing to live for anymore.

The 37-year-old man from Alexandra says he has a drug addiction and struggles to make ends meet.

Galeboe explained how his life has reached a breaking point and Eusebius extended a helping hand.

I grew up as a confused young man and abused. I am still confused at 37 and have three boys who I don't know how to look at, they love me too much.

Galeboe, Caller

I am calling to the show because I am about to do something, I am about to call it quits.

Galeboe, Caller

Everything I do turns to be wrong, adds the shattered Galeboe.

I've got no position in this life, I have no sense of identification. What is the reason for me to go on?

Galeboe, Caller

I am alone in this, there is nobody I can talk to and understand what I am going through. I am always looked down upon.

Galeboe, Caller

He adds that he is living alone and his parents always tell him he will amount to nothing.

They say they want nothing to do with me. I have been unemployed for the past four years. The only thing that keeps me on is my firstborn, who says: 'Go tla ba right' (Things will get better).

Galeboe, Caller

What I want for myself is to be a better person and change completely. I want to be a part of this world and live for something.

Galeboe, Caller

Listen to the full interview below...

14 November 2019 11:00 AM
Suicide
Employment
depression South Africa
#Depression

Recommended

zweli-mkhizejpg

UPDATE: South Africa's recoveries reach 118,232

10 July 2020 9:13 PM

There were 12,349 new infections. The total number of deaths is 3,860.

Covid-19 coronavirus testing 123rf

[LISTEN] Three senior Gauteng education department officials die of COVID-19

10 July 2020 5:22 PM

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi shared an update on the impact of the outbreak on his department on Friday.

aka-chats-about-music-personal-growth-and-lockdown-with-zwelipng

'Stay safe' warns AKA as he reveals he has coronavirus

10 July 2020 3:46 PM

The rapper urged South Africans to adhere to social distancing guidelines and to wear their masks.

bandilejpg

My parents have recovered from COVID-19 - Brent Lindeque spreads the GOOD NEWS!

10 July 2020 2:07 PM

Good Things Guy founder Brent Lindeque says people tend not to focus on the number of COVID-19 recoveries that keeps going up.

pdjpg

[LISTEN] How a new dictionary on stereotypes is dismantling prejudiced thinking

10 July 2020 12:04 PM

Social innovator Mbali N has created a tool designed to help people unlearn prejudiced thinking by unpacking harmful stereotypes.

Darkness, no electricity, load shedding

Loadshedding to be implemented from noon today - Eskom COO

10 July 2020 11:03 AM

More generating units have broken down, resulting in the utility battling to meet the high demand for electricity.

heater-coldjpg

Gauteng residents urged to be cautious when using heaters as cold front hits SA

10 July 2020 10:41 AM

Communities are being advised to be extra cautious to help the already overburdened health system.

David Makhura

Gauteng Premier David Makhura tests positive for COVID-19

10 July 2020 10:30 AM

In a statement, the premier said that he had received his test results on Friday and that he was positive.

Professor Salim Abdool Karim

'I would not say COVID-19 is airborne at this stage, I would want more info'

10 July 2020 8:26 AM

Professor Salim Abdool Karim says its likely virus might be airborne, but there isn't enough information on that matter.

chalk-board-school-class-educationjpg

Cosas insists schools be shut down as regulations are not being adhered to

9 July 2020 5:56 PM

Grades R, 6, 7, 11 and 12 have so far returned to the classroom as part of the Basic Education Department's phased reopening.