Why did security fail when CCTV cameras picked up train-fire suspects?
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula has put the cost of the damage caused by this morning's fire at Cape Town Station at R61 million.
18 carriages in total were destroyed when the flames from two burning trains spread to adjacent platforms. Commuter services were severely disrupted.
Cape Town mayor Dan Plato say that in the past three years more than 140 carriages - making up 40 train sets - have been destroyed in an ongoing pattern of train fires.
EWN's Kaylynn Palm reports that It emerged during the minister's media briefing on Thursday that CCTV cameras picked up the four culprits who're suspected of starting the latest fire in the early hours of the morning.
They just said that the four men with short trousers were caught on camera and that the police now have to investigate and find these perpetrators of these crimes.Kaylynn Palm, Reporter - EWN
Mbalula questioned why there was no response to the real-time recording of the four suspects.
He was saying there are a number of security contracts based at the station so they need to obviously look at who was responsible; who was on duty at that time.Kaylynn Palm, Reporter - EWN
We're hoping we're going to get direct answers in the next few days.Kaylynn Palm, Reporter - EWN
Listen to the full update in the audio below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Why did security fail when CCTV cameras picked up train-fire suspects?
This comes after law enforcement officers this week demolished four structures because they were illegally erected on city-owned land in the area.Read More
Earlier this week, the Basic Education Department revised its decision allow almost six million pupils back to class from Monday, saying only some grades will be permitted on school grounds.Read More
Two more employees have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections at the entity to three.Read More
The icon passed away at the age of 80 on Saturday.Read More
Saturday marked the 100th day of lockdown for South Africa, which has imposed some of the strictest stay-at-home measures in the world since March 27 in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19.Read More
Details surrounding Twala’s death are still unclear, but news of her passing was revealed by her son, Somizi Mhlongo, on Saturday.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Friday that there were 108 new coronavirus-related deaths.Read More
The move reverses what was known as an upward referral policy introduced during the tenure of former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.Read More
Nickolaus Bauer speaks to Independent Counselling and Advisory Services (ICAS) Southern Africa MD Andrew Davies.Read More
Labour and Employment Minister Thulas Nxesi said that the UIF had been able to identify 75 cases of suspicious transactions.Read More