Wedding venue may face second case for discriminating against same-sex couples
The South African Human Rights Commission says it is willing to assist a same-sex couple prohibited from using a Western Cape-based wedding venue - Beloftebos - after they inquired about the establishment's availability for their wedding.
Megan Watling took to social media on Thursday to express her anger when she received an email rejecting her enquiry.
The venue said it was unable to accommodate the pair because of its religious beliefs.
SA Human Rights Commissioner Adv Andre Gaum says this is not the first incident involving Beloftebos and that a similar matter is sitting in the Western Cape High Court.
We had a previous complaint of a gay couple at Beloftebos some time ago and we are finalising our papers.Adv Andre Gaum - SA Human Rights Commissioner
We believe that one cannot, on the basis of your religious beliefs, trample on other rights. Especially the right to equality, human dignity and so on.Adv Andre Gaum - SA Human Rights Commissioner
Gaum says the couple is welcome to lodge a complaint.
The guest house Beloftebos is not acting constitutionally and therefore we will also take up this particular matter. They can lay a complaint with us or we will do our own initiative and most probably add this to our existing matter.Adv Andre Gaum - SA Human Rights Commissioner
Click on the link below to hear more...
This comes after law enforcement officers this week demolished four structures because they were illegally erected on city-owned land in the area.Read More
Earlier this week, the Basic Education Department revised its decision allow almost six million pupils back to class from Monday, saying only some grades will be permitted on school grounds.Read More
Two more employees have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections at the entity to three.Read More
The icon passed away at the age of 80 on Saturday.Read More
Saturday marked the 100th day of lockdown for South Africa, which has imposed some of the strictest stay-at-home measures in the world since March 27 in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19.Read More
Details surrounding Twala’s death are still unclear, but news of her passing was revealed by her son, Somizi Mhlongo, on Saturday.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Friday that there were 108 new coronavirus-related deaths.Read More
The move reverses what was known as an upward referral policy introduced during the tenure of former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.Read More
Nickolaus Bauer speaks to Independent Counselling and Advisory Services (ICAS) Southern Africa MD Andrew Davies.Read More
Labour and Employment Minister Thulas Nxesi said that the UIF had been able to identify 75 cases of suspicious transactions.Read More