DUT security threaten EWN journalist with violence and 'throwing him off a hill'
The situation got tense at DUT's Steve Biko campus on Friday after KwaZulu-Natal police arrested five students on charges of public violence.
Eyewitness News reporter Nkosikhona Duma explains how security personnel threatened him thinking he was one of the students.
I was threatened with violence and I was told I was going to be thrown off a cliff.Nkosikhona Duma, Reporter - Eyewitness News
I had witnessed how one of the student leaders was detained by about ten men. The security guards demanded that I delete the footage, which I did not.Nkosikhona Duma, Reporter - Eyewitness News
[WATCH] Eyewitness News has witnessed the detainment of one the student leaders at the campus. About 10 private security guards overwhelmed him while he was walking on campus. It's not clear why he has been detained. @NkoRaphael pic.twitter.com/4y5kXlOIAh— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) February 14, 2020
Duma says the five students who were detained earlier have been released due to insufficient evidence.
However, six more students remain in custody.
Many of the students that are protesting are those who qualify for Nsfas and they say they have not received their allowance and it is unfair for the academic programme to continue while they are hungry.Nkosikhona Duma, Reporter - Eyewitness News
Listen to the full interview below...
This comes after law enforcement officers this week demolished four structures because they were illegally erected on city-owned land in the area.Read More
Earlier this week, the Basic Education Department revised its decision allow almost six million pupils back to class from Monday, saying only some grades will be permitted on school grounds.Read More
Two more employees have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections at the entity to three.Read More
The icon passed away at the age of 80 on Saturday.Read More
Saturday marked the 100th day of lockdown for South Africa, which has imposed some of the strictest stay-at-home measures in the world since March 27 in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19.Read More
Details surrounding Twala’s death are still unclear, but news of her passing was revealed by her son, Somizi Mhlongo, on Saturday.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Friday that there were 108 new coronavirus-related deaths.Read More
The move reverses what was known as an upward referral policy introduced during the tenure of former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.Read More
Nickolaus Bauer speaks to Independent Counselling and Advisory Services (ICAS) Southern Africa MD Andrew Davies.Read More
Labour and Employment Minister Thulas Nxesi said that the UIF had been able to identify 75 cases of suspicious transactions.Read More