Adam Habib reflects on his tenure at Wits University
Wits University vice-chancellor Adam Habib has resigned after nearly eight years in the position.
Habib announced his resignation in a statement on Monday.
He will take up a new post as director at the London-based School of Oriental and African Studies in 2021.
Speaking to Eusebius McKaiser, Habib says he really struggled with his decision and he didn't come to it very lightly.
In two and a half years after this year, I will be coming to an end of my second and final term and although we are thinking about a third term at Wits to create the rules for a third term, it cannot apply to me as it would be unethical to do so.Adam Habib, Vice Chancellor - Wits University
In a sense the question was what he would do at the end of the two years, he explains.
My skills and my passion is to build a research-intensive university. I think Africa needs that to be part of global institutions that are after the global challenges of our time. It became a pragmatic decision that had to be made.Adam Habib, Vice Chancellor - Wits University
He says at his inauguration, he vowed to transform Wits but keep its world-class stature.
Listen below to the full conversation:
Ntuli's campaign spokesperson Sam Mgobozi has confirmed that she has written to the party's public representatives.Read More
EWN parliamentary correspondent Babalo Ndenze gives an update of the briefing by Cogta Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula gives the state of readiness of his department as the country moves to lockdown Level 3.Read More
Spokesperson Kabelo Mahlobogwane says they wont allow the minister to use pupils and teachers to test the strength of COVID-19.Read More
Political analyst Lukhona Mnguni looks at the announcement of moving to Level 3 and the politics around the lockdown.Read More
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced in an address to the nation that SA will move down to Level 3 lockdown from 1 June.Read More
The President has delivered a lockdown update - listen to his explanation of the move to Level 3 from 1 June.Read More
A survey by teacher unions shows that 92% of SA's schools are not ready and safe to re-open says Natu's Cynthia Barnes.Read More
Presidency says he will tackle developments in South Africa’s risk-adjusted strategy to manage the spread of COVID-19.Read More
A video shot in the Western Cape shows an officer dragging a mask-wearing woman to a police van, apparently during exercise hours.Read More
The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in SA on Tuesday was 24,264, and the total number of recoveries stood at 12,741.Read More
Congregants must wear masks and organisations must thoroughly clean and sanitise places for worship before and after services.Read More
Amcu general secretary David Sipunzi says the number could be higher because results were still coming.Read More
Eyewitness News reporter Babalo Ndenze has the full report.Read More
Business Insider Inc associate editor Phillip de Wet offers more on the regulation.Read More
He is expected to provide an update on the provisions for the religious sector following a meeting with the command council.Read More
The Daily Maverick has reported how the erratic supply of water has persisted after Makhanda East was without water for a week.Read More
The author and popular host of Newzroom Afrika's "Your View" took to Twitter to make the announcement at the weekend.Read More
702 and Dineplan are giving you a chance to keep your favourite local spots open after the lockdown. Find out how.Read More
The 23-day-old baby passed away following open heart surgery last week.Read More