To come out and say we are scared of going to coronavirus is an insult - SANDF
The South Africa National Defence Force (SANDF) has denied reports by the Mail & Guardian that its members are refusing to evacuate South Africas trapped at the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in Wahun, China.
The M&G is reporting that defence force personnel are unwilling to man the aircraft.
It further says the military has advised against the evacuation of over 150 people in China.
The South African government made an announcement last week that it will be evacuating South African citizens that want to come home.
Speaking to Clement Manyathela, SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini says there are ready to travel to China.
There is no truth is in the article and interestingly they quoting a senior official and I wonder who the senior official is.Siphiwe Dlamini, Head of Communications - SANDF
We have been hard at work planning this operation and all logistics related to this operation. To come out now and say there is a senior official who says that our members are not willing to go to a mission they have been planning is ludacris, it's a sad thing to say.Siphiwe Dlamini, Head of Communications - SANDF
Dlamini says they will be leaving soon and the aircraft has been acquired.
We deal with serious viruses on the force and we do extensive research. To say our soldiers are scared of coronavirus without playing dump is actually sad.Siphiwe Dlamini, Head of Communications - SANDF
To come out and say we scared of going to corona is an insult.Siphiwe Dlamini, Head of Communications - SANDF
Listen to the full interview below...
Cumulative number of confirmed COVID-19 cases is 30,967. There were 32 new coronavirus-related deaths, bringing the total to 643.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula outlined the relaxation of transport regulations under Level 3 of the national lockdown during a media briefing on Saturday.Read More
Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced that R200m is now available to help artists and athletes after a financial boost from MECs.Read More
Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula held a briefing on rules for the transport sector from 1 June.Read More
Professional rugby and soccer teams can resume training under Level 3, says Sport Minister Nathi Mthethwa.Read More
An Ipsos poll found that under-exercising, insomnia and depression have also been problems for South Africans under lockdown.Read More
Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa has updated the nation on the resumption of non-contact sport.Read More
Fedsas CEOPaul Colditz says every school should receive children and educators back under conducive conditions.Read More
While the on-air campaign has come to an end, the initiative to save small businesses affected by the lockdown will continue.Read More