Streaming issues? Report here
Clement Manyathela 1500 x 1500 2020 Clement Manyathela 1500 x 1500 2020
The Clement Manyathela Show
09:00 - 12:00
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: The Midday Report with Mandy Wiener
See full line-up
The Clement Manyathela Show
09:00 - 12:00
Home
arrow_forward
Local

SABC disputes Bemawu's claim that the broadcaster concealed COVID-19 case

30 March 2020 2:48 PM
Tags:
SABC
BEMAWU
Coronavirus
COVID-19

Bemawu has accused the SABC of endangering the lives of employees.

The Broadcasting Electronic Media and Allied Workers Union (Bemawu) has accused the SABC of endangering the lives of employees and claims that the broadcaster concealed a case of the coronaviurs at one of its offices.

Bemawu spokesperson Hannes du Buisson says according to documented proof the SABC knew that one of its news researchers was exposed to someone who tested positive by 17 March.

The SABC kept quiet, they did not warn anybody about this ... on the 19th we had a meeting with the SABC, we raised three important issues - the one is that there are pregnant and vulnerable employees that are still working at the union and that is before we knew as a union that there was someone at news research in contact with someone that tested positive.

Hannes du Buisson, Spokesperson - Bemawu

The other issue is non-essential staff....yes they did indicate with us that they are putting plans in place only on the 19th, to release those staff.

Hannes du Buisson, Spokesperson - Bemawu

The union has threatened legal action.

We want the SABC to just run on its necessary staff to keep broadcast going and send home everyone else that is not required at the workplace to have their news and current affairs running. Procurement and sourcing of equipment and that kind of issues are not an essential service at this point in time.

Hannes du Buisson, Spokesperson - Bemawu

SABC chief operations officer Ian Plaatjies has disputed the claims saying this is misinformation.

On the 19th, in the affected areas that Hannes has just mentioned, there was one person that was reported that they had been in contact with someone who tested positively, we sent that person home and quarantined the rest of the area. But the person came back and the test was negative and the person was returned.

Ian Plaatjies, Chief operations officer - SABC

In the same area, another incident last week, unfortunately the person was off sick for an unrelated matter and while hospitalised was diagnosed and tested positive. What Bemawu is now trying to do is link the two and say that we were irresponsible and didn't inform the people.

Ian Plaatjies, Chief operations officer - SABC

Plaatjies says they have desanitised their offices twice and that they have already released their non-essential staff allowing them to work from home.

After the President declared a national disaster, he gave us until Thursday midnight. We had already started the week prior to that, identifying who were non-essential staff and started to equip them with euipemet to be able to work remotely.

Ian Plaatjies, Chief operations officer - SABC

Click on the link below to hear the full story....




30 March 2020 2:48 PM
Tags:
SABC
BEMAWU
Coronavirus
COVID-19

More from Information about Covid-19 coronavirus

South African invention revolutionises oxygen delivery to Covid-19 patients

11 January 2021 6:57 PM

"I have witnessed this device saving lives," says Dr Warren Gregorowski of the proudly South African device.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

'ANC is against another hard lockdown'

11 January 2021 6:33 PM

"Family meeting" – the scariest words in the English language. Bruce Whitfield interviews News24 Political Editor Qaanitah Hunter.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Free Covid-19 vaccine for all medical aid members – Discovery CEO

6 January 2021 9:01 AM

"It’s mandatory for medical schemes to pay for for the Covid-19 vaccine," says Dr Ryan Noach, CEO at Discovery Health.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Health Department concerned by over 17,000 new COVID-19 cases

31 December 2020 6:40 AM

The ministry reported that 465 people have died of COVID-19 since the last report.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

[LISTEN] When can the police arrest you for not wearing a mask

30 December 2020 8:19 AM

Human Rights Deputy Director Wayne Ncube explains the regulations in terms of wearing a mask in public.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

What will happen to flights that arrive after curfew? Council seeks clarity

29 December 2020 8:13 AM

Tourism Business Council of South Africa CEO Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa reacts to the new level 3 regulations.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

SA records 1 million COVID-19 cases, Gauteng closely studying the numbers

28 December 2020 1:25 PM

Gauteng Command Council member professor Bruce Mellado say they concerned about the rise in numbers in the province.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

[LISTEN] What you need to know about new covid-19 variant

21 December 2020 11:55 AM

Helen Joseph Hospital head of the Department of Infectious Diseases Dr Jeremy Nel explains more about the new variant.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

[WATCH] President Ramaphosa on measures to battle 2nd Covid-19 wave

14 December 2020 7:44 PM

The President is addressing the nation on measures it's taking to combat the 2nd wave of Covid-19, now washing over South Africa.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Odds of catching Covid-19 vs crashing your car (and other calamities)

14 December 2020 6:50 PM

Dr Johan Ferreira (Senior Lecturer in Statistics at UP) on the chance of contracting Covid-19 compared to other dangers.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward