FF Plus founder Constand Viljoen dies at age 86
JOHANNESBURG – Founder of the Freedom Front Plus, general Constand Viljoen, has died at the age of 86.
The former South African Defence Force commander died earlier on Friday due to what's been described as natural causes.
Viljoen served as the principal staff officer to the chief of the South African Defence Force and was appointed as chief of the army in 1977. He succeeded Magnus Malan as chief of the SADF in 1980.
Viljoen laid a foundation for the FF Plus. In 1993, he and fellow retired apartheid generals formed the Afrikaner Volksfront (Afrikaner People's Front), an umbrella body for conservative Afrikaners. He split from them ahead of South Africa's first democratic elections in 1994, and established the FF Plus.
Party leader Pieter Groenewald said Vijoen would be remembered for playing a major role in ensuring a successful transition to democracy.
“The most important thing is that he believed that a general leads from the back and not from the front, and he got some criticism for that. But, he got some respect and adoration from his troops at ground level.”
It is with great sorrow that the FF Plus learnt today of the passing of Gen. Constand Viljoen, former leader of the Freedom Front, as the party was known at the time. @GroenewaldPJ https://t.co/sL7uvBLBB9— VRYHEIDSFRONT PLUS / FREEDOM FRONT PLUS (@VFPlus) April 3, 2020
This article first appeared on EWN : FF Plus founder Constand Viljoen dies at age 86
The originator of the scheme is the man behind the 'Drive a new car for R699 a month' fiasco years back, warns Wendy Knowler.Read More
Spokesperson Isaac Mangena says people will be surprised that those people who can afford are actually defaulting on payments.Read More
Researcher Martin Ewi says we make judgements on the basis of an individual or a few people and it is not fair.Read More
Adeyemi Oladapo Aremu gives his take on what South Africa is doing to protect and share traditional medicine resources.Read More
Department of Labour spokesperson Makhosonke Buthelezi says they are satisfied with the work that they have done.Read More
The Nathaniel Julies murder case back was in the Protea Magistrates Court and all three accused seek bail.Read More
2020 has forcefully disrupted many consumers, and left traditional consumer-facing businesses having to re-assess and re-configure.Read More
News24 in-depth and profile writer James de Villiers says varied organisations were present at the ConCourt today.Read More
The African National Congress in Gauteng extends the special leave of Khusela Diko, Bandile and Loyiso Masuku by two weeks.Read More
Listeners to The Clement Manyathela Show gave their views. US President Donald Trump punted a vaccine before Election Day.Read More