Aubrey Masango 1500 x 1500 2020 Aubrey Masango 1500 x 1500 2020
The Aubrey Masango Show

The Aubrey Masango Show

'I'd beat her badly in front of kids,' says man who was jailed for abusing wife

21 August 2020 5:30 PM
Abuse
Gender based voilence

Collin Sepamatla says he hated the trauma he brought to his children. His wife has accepted his apology and forgiven him.

As the nation fights the COVID-19 threat, President Cyril Ramaphosa has condemned the surge in gender-based violence in the country's during the strict coronavirus lockdown.

Collin Sepamatla, who was sentenced to eight years in prison after physically and emotionally abusing his wife, joined Afternoon Drive to re-tell the story of what led him to be abusive to his wife and the lesson he had learnt when he was imprisoned.

Sepamatla started the story by revealing that he started abusing his life when he lost his job and had to go back to the township, saying his wife started changing her behaviour, which displeased him.

I would beat her badly in front of the kids and I was not that kind of man, you know, who was violent and who wanted to treat her badly.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

Sepamatla says when he raised the problems to their close family members, they would not take him seriously and his friends advised him to start beating his wife.

These conversations I would have with my friends, I would discuss it with my friends. I would say this is what happened to my life and their advice was: 'Collin you need to be a man, you need to stand up now for your marriage. You need to beat her so that she will listen to you.' That’s the advice I took from other people and lived it.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

Sepamatla says he hated the trauma he brought to his kids who saw their dad beating up their mother.

It was so painful after the action had been done. I would see them crying, crying for their mother every time I would beat her.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

RELATED: Justice ministry on mission to tighten laws on curbing gender-based violence

Sepamatla says when he was in prison, at first he wanted to kill his wife and would replay ways in which he would do it, until he joined a programme in prison as well as being counselled when he got out of prison.

That is when the mentality now started to change. I would communicate with other perpetrators, they would comfort me, they would advise me in a good way.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

Most of the time I was praying I would tell God I am not a monster, I am not this kind of man that you created to come beat his wife, to abuse children of the wife.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

I wanted to be a successful person and I told myself this is not the right way.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

Sepamatla says he has since spoken to his wife who has accepted his apology and has forgiven him.

I was so surprised she was clam and she was happy for me.

Collin Sepamatla, Man sentenced to eight years for abusing his wife

Listen below for the full interview ...

21 August 2020 5:30 PM
Abuse
Gender based voilence

Road Traffic

High court to hear application to have Aarto Act declared unconstitutional

29 September 2020 4:54 PM

The executive director of Outa’s accountability division, Stefanie Fick, says the Auto Amendment Act has not worked in 10 years.

eskomdiepsloot_1560

Eskom officials will return to sell cables back to Diepsloot residents - report

29 September 2020 4:38 PM

John Perlman gets answers and reactions to Eskoms disconnection of illegal connections

parlygif

ANC summons MPs back to Parliament

29 September 2020 4:00 PM

Members of Parliament will have to give ANC chief whip Pemmy Majodina doctors' certificates by no later than Thursday.

Richard mdluli

Freedom Under Law welcomes sentence for former crime intelligence boss Mdluli

29 September 2020 2:22 PM

Ricahrd Mdluli will serve five years for the murder of Oupa Ramogibe, who allegedly had an affair with his wife in 1998.

Rapid  test for antibody detection Covid-19 coronavirus antibody test 123rf

'The coronavirus has not gone away in Gauteng or nationally,' says Wits expert

29 September 2020 1:41 PM

Mandy Wiener asks Prof Shabir Madhi about COVID-19 cases following the move to lockdown level one and relaxed restrictions.

deaf-deafness-hearing-123rf

A lot of people within deaf community struggle 'because nobody understands them'

29 September 2020 12:30 PM

Sign language board spokesperson Ntombenhle Huluhulu says there is a very slow-moving will to make the language official.

Former President Jacob Zuma at the state capture commission on 17 July 2019

'Why did Zuma not raise problem with Zondo at the beginning of the inquiry?'

29 September 2020 11:56 AM

Journalist Karyn Maughan says former president's demand that Deputy Chief Justice Raymond recuse himself does not come as a shock.

Nathaniel Julies

Three police officers accused in Nathaniel Julies's murder case denied bail

28 September 2020 4:33 PM

EWN Reporter Kgomotso Modise says the magistrate is not convinced there compelling circumstances for the accused to be released.

chalk-board-classroom-class-desk-teacher-school-education-learnering-123rf

Matriculants urged to be inspired by fact that they've reached last stretch

28 September 2020 3:35 PM

Educator at the Pretoria Campus of the South African College Esmarie Cilliers says matrics should have realistic study schedule.

Paedophile sexual abuse children 123rflifestyle 123rfhealth 123rf

KwaSizabantu people must look at the trauma they've caused - Sipho Hlongwane

28 September 2020 2:26 PM

Writer, journalist and columnist Sipho Hlongwane says what happened to him at KwaSizabantu Mission was very difficult.