Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu has confirmed a Krugersdorp woman who went home with her stillborn baby still inside her, had a C-section yesterday to remove the infant.
On Friday the woman’s husband claimed she was turned away from staff at the Yusuf Dadoo Hospital, but Mahlangu says she didn't want to be admitted at the time.
The MEC says doctors convinced her to return to the facility over the weekend so they could operate.
“She insisted on going home. We pleaded with her to come back on Saturday morning. Thorough blood tests were done on her and the baby boy came out. I think they are planning a burial.”
Last week, the MEC said they were in no position to force anyone to be admitted to hospital against their will.
Listen as Xolani Gwala speaks to Mahlangu and the woman’s husband, Jethro.