Sars spy case postponed to June
Former Sars officials, Ivan Pillay, Johan van Loggerenberg and Andries Janse van Rensburg briefly appeared in Pretoria Magistrates Court on Monday morning.
The three are accused of creating a 'backdoor' while installing surveillance cameras, in order to spy on the Scorpions in 2007.
The project was called 'Sunday Evenings' because the three would allegedly call into the spying device on a Sunday night, and listen to recorded conversations, according to EWN reporter Barry Bateman.
He says in the midst of it all, Van Loggerenberg posted on Facebook over the weekend that he is not guilty because he did not do anything wrong.
He took to Facebook over the weekend, seemingly quite upset with the way this happened...Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Van Loggerenberg is saying that he is being prosecuted but he wasn't even given the opportunity to have the allegations put to him so that he can give his version of events. He is simply feeling he is not being treated correctly.Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Bateman says State prosecutor Sello Maema asked the court to impose bail of R5000 on each of the men, but the magistrate dismissed the application, saying that there was no evidence indicating that they may abscond.
Two of the accused had been abroad when they were summoned, and they returned to South Africa to make their appearance in court.
The matter has been postponed until June and the case will be transferred to the High Court for trial.
To hear the rest of the report by Barry Bateman, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Sars spy case postponed to June
Source : Barry Bateman/EWN